Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 239

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 245 Jefferson Jay "Fricassee Junction" 7-30-2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAI3HDhRG0c

Here I am performing "Fricassee Junction," with Paul Lopez on congas, The Soul Man on guiro, and Marco (I don't know his last name) on sax. I had just written "Fricassee Junction," over the phone with my longtime songwriting collaborator, Scott Baslaw. Together, we are The Demarests and have been since 1992. I was feeling at a crossroads. Hence, the song.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 245 "Cream" by Prince
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oyv5NRL3Hpk

Who doesn't love "Cream?" It taught me with its irresistible dance grooves that I should stand up when I sing? Hail the Prince. Doesn't it seem time that he should change his name to "King?" I mean really who does he think he is Prince Charles. He's been stuck at this same level for 30 years. I had fun doing this one, I hope I keep it in the loop.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 245 "The Juicing Song"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Es3lw6F8mi0

Long story. Where do I begin? So years again, when this whole steroids in baseball scandal started, my friend Frank and I had a funny idea for a movie. We've been baseball fans our whole lives and we found the whole thing to be entirely ridiculous so we wrote the movie. Regular guy stumbles into a life on steroids and instantly becomes a Major League All-Star essentially. The side effects cause friction in his life in a myriad of other ways until he reaches a personal catharsis and has an epiphany.

We've wanted to pursue this film idea for years. Franks sent out a number of query letters. Unfortunately it was at the same time as the writer's strike. I brought in to Will Ferrel, BIll Simmons, and did a few other things, but each was more pointless then the next. The other day, I reached out to Jose Canseco, the former MVP, and whistle blowing author that spilled the beans on the whole steroids thing.

Well, jose called me back. What a trip. We chatted for a few and he said he was down to attach his name to our project, titles Android Johnny Lane, if I could find funding. Well, that was cool. Anyone wanna fund a funny movie? Hello?!? So I've been thinking about this project a bit more since then. Most of the wrk on it was done four years ago. I wrote this song a couple days back that could be the end song in the movie, perhaps. It sort of encapsulates the whole thing, into a song. I think it's funny. It is written from the perspective of the prospective juicer. I hope you like "The Juicing Song."

No comments: