Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Operation 365... Blog 3

Hi. A little tired. Been civilly serving. Yesterday I was subbing at a high school in the zone. In 2 of my classes, students surprised by requesting I play my song "February" for them. They were genuine and I was flattered, so I obliged. I played them each versions and conversed with them briefly after. They wanted to know what it was about.

I said, a long time ago some ago, some pretty unfortunate things happened in my life in February and I wrote this song as sort of a make-up song all these years later as an olive branch, a burying the hatchet if you will. High school kids as they are... Well, they wanted to know what happened and I told them. My best friend died when I was 17. Most of them were able to deal with it pretty well, save for one exception.

These things happen I told them. I believe everything happens for a reason and it was a long time ago. It was a bit more involved then that as you may imagine, but that's all I feel like sharing now.

In any case, in honor of those kids and their appreciation for "February" the tune, I put up 2 versions today. One recorded at TheStudiosInSanDiego shortly after it was written in February 2010 Originals - available here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kZqe_dVKZo

...and another one recorded live on March 21, 2010 with Paul Ruiz on trumpet, Paul Lopez on congas, and The Soul Man. This group of people was one that joined my frequently in those months. When we had a drummer, we'd be called The Jefferson Jay Band, but when it was like this, I called The Jefferson Jay Experience. I always love playing with all of those guys. That version is available here as today's archive selection and it is available here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9ErbsNCQCk

My 3rd offering of the day, my "Cover" is a version of Led Zeppelin's "Down By The Seaside" also recorded at TheStudiosInSanDiego. It is here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhQjDlIa2wA

In other news, I helped get P.A. for some disadvantaged kids' music room today. Hooray!

Peace

No comments: