Thursday, November 3, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 338

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 344 "Stand By Me" by Ben E. King 4-15-2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cvnf5rJGg7c

This is the classic line-up of the Booze, for whom these will likely be the final appearances on the 365. 21 days to go after today. The Booze then was: Blowski on vocals and guitar, Avery on bass, me on drums, Adrianna Martin-Morningstar on vocals and percussion, Petey "The Sweetie" Mueller on keys, Paul Ruiz on trumpet, and The Soul Man on guiro.

Here we are, covering the classic, "Stand By Me." Hard to believe I hadn't gotten to this one yet on the 365. It was one of the tunes I did with my kids, back when I had a job teaching music.

Will the Booze ever reunite? I don't know. Would I love the opportunity to sit in a room and play music again with these 6 friends? Absolutely. I love those Boozers.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 344 Acoustic Booze "Venus" 4-15-2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iO6AfUX_p4

I had already posted one version of Venus from way back in the Covers section. I felt like posting another one so here we are in the Archivers. We, in Acoustic Booze had fun doing "Venus." We made it our own with a little Doors-esque breakdown near the end. This was filmed by Dylan Avery. He didn't do very many of his slick directorial moves in this one though, because he is on stage.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 344 "Chameleon Saturday: Chapter 4"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY3mqght4AY

"Chameleon Saturday: Chapter 4" is one of the more important tunes to me that's left. So much so, that I am calling it by its full name, "Chameleon Saturday: Chapter 4" instead of its shortened name, "Chapter 4," for the first time.

"Chameleon Saturday" is a long thing I wrote about the day after I turned 19 at the University of Massachusetts. It was a whole long poem with all kinds of different scenes detailing my birthday weekend adventure at UMASS. I remember writing it in the back of Mattie Steinberg's Saturn on the way to some far off Phish show. It could have been Binghamton. I'm not sure.

"Chameleon Saturday: Chapter 4" is the first song I ever wrote by myself in a lot of ways. It's not the first music I ever made up myself. It's the the first tune I ever wrote music and lyrics too by myself. I think it came out pretty good for a first one.

I have tried to play "Chapter 4" many times for the 365 before, but never have I got a satisfactory version. Usually at then end, there's all this high-singing and stuff. Now, there's 21 says left in the 365 and it's late. I just hosted open mis at The Reunion. I'm tired and I still have to pack for Ridgecrest. It is also the only tune that I've written that I remember by heart, haven't played already for the 365, and does not appear on my upcoming CD, "Gift To Be Alive." I've been saving those for the finale.

So here it is, a late, tired version of the first song I ever wrote, keeping it alive here on the Operation 365. Does it make you want to hear the rest of the poem? I hope so. Nobody ever has before. In Chapter 2, there's a part about a cow who won't stop pissing. That, I remember. What can I tell ya? It was a psychedelic birthday.

No comments: