Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 343

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 349 Joe Khoroosi & Riddle the Roar - 4-15-2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZKgy0gBVIc


Wasn't really planning on posting Joe Khoroosi & Riddle the Roar today. Then I got an Facebook note form Joe saying he had moved from California. I miss Joe already. He was kind enough to lend his violin skills to my new CD, "Gift To Be Alive." I was hoping he might get to make it out to the CD release on Friday, 11-11-11 at The Griffin (9PM). Alas, that won't occur.

As a token of my gratitude for his contribution, I am taking one of my last Archival days her ein the 365 and am posting a clip of Joe's old band, Riddle the Roar, from a show the day before my birthday on April 15, 2009. I wish yo the best, Joe. May you find peace and tranquility wherever this journey leads you. I hope you enjoy the clip.

Joe mentions at the end of the clip that this song, (I could not make out the name) is by a friend of his named Shane Goodwin, from Long Beach. Props to Joe's friend Shane. Nice tune.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 349 "Talk Dirty To Me" by Poison
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_a2fBVDCbk


Today was a hellaciously difficult day coming up with a cover for the 365. I was just so not feeling it. I tried a bunch of tunes a bunch of times but all it did was waste precious moments of my day. I couldn't even play Poison's "Every Rose Has It's Thorn," one of the easiest tunes ever. Just not feeling it. Tried this here "Talk Dirty To Me" a number of times with guitar but it was never good. So I wound up having to go it a capella. Was the world crying out for an a capella version of "Talk Dirty To Me?" It's hard to say, really. Perhaps not.

I wanted to play "Every Rose Has It's Thorn" so I could talk about Steve and Chris Merlin, a farther-son duo who would come out to one of my old Open Mics and duet on this number. It was always good fun. One time one loaned the other a pick on stage and it was just the mist tender father-son moment you ever did see. Chris later became a central figure at my O'Connells' Hot Fudge Sundae Open Mic and all the radio craziness that spun off of that program. Chris was a great guy and a lot of fun. I think he lives in New Hampshire. Best Chris Merlin story ever is one night after we did the open mic and then the Hot Fudge Sundae recap show on KCR.... Yes, my Open Mic had a radio recap show. It was that classic. So after we did the two shows, it was late, Merlin had to drive far. He fell asleep at the wheel and HIT A SEMI. He was OK somehow, so it made for an incredible story. He also does a superb impression of The Count from Sesame Street.

So I am dedicating this a capella masterpiece to the Merlins and all the folks from back in '06 when Monday night meant I talking on Cox digital cable Channel 956 and Time-Warner digital cable Channel 957 for several hours with friends, cutting up and having lots of informative fun.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 349 "L.A. Shuffle"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nz9Tbd7Qn0


"L.A. Shuffle" was one of a handful of tunes I wrote near the end of te summer with my friend, Mr. Cheeseburger. That is not his real name, of course, but he is a teacher, and wishes to maintain some anonymity from his students, so God bless. I really wanted to include "L.A. Shuffle"in the 365 'cause I think it's a really cool tune, It is about bring lost and lonely with your dreams, living in the shadows of the bright lights of Los Angeles. I have a few friends who experienced this L.A.-induced malaise recently and wrote these words about their plight. People go to L.A. wit h big dreams. Some hit gold. Others are lucky if they still have themselves when they leave, much less any glimmer of those dreams. It's an American tragedy.

I wanted to record a libe version, but after not playing it for so long, it wasn't happening expediently. Instead I am bringing you our recorded demo version with Kip Forde on synthesizers and some stock footage of L.A. hat I was able to dig up. The 365 is wrapping and, our CD release party is this Friday night at The Griffin and I am feeling up against it some. Time is not on my side right now. Taught 5th grade today, volunteering in an hour, then band practice, then hours of preparing the the finale of this here 365, when I'd much rather be cozy with my sick girlfriend. The price we pay for our art. At least it's a labor of love.

No comments: