Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 336

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 342 "People Come On" by Delta Spirit - 4-15-2009
http://youtu.be/dUMiRvru9LE


So today is my buddy Dylan Avery's birthday. He is 28. I was looking for stuff that featured him to celebrate him on said day. I found a couple Open Mic performances of his when he was taking his first shots playing on stage, a very courageous thing to do. I decided not to post those. Instead, I went for or old band, Acoustic Booze. Here the Booze covers Delta Sprit's "People Come On" at a show on 10-15-2009.

NOTE: After further review, I decided to replace that clip with one from 4-15-2010, exactly 6 months to the day after that first one was filmed. By then, the band had improved a good deal and added The Soul Man on guiro and Paul Ruiz on trumpet to our happy family. It was my birthday too. Dylan filmed this show as well.

Dylan and I have been through quite a bit together in four years of friendship. He has filmed some of biggest shows. We made the "24 Hours of Free Music" movie together. We were the rhythm section for the Booze for some time. We went to Phish's Festival 8 on his birthday two weeks after this clip was filmed, two years ago. I have puppy-sat for his wonderful pooch, Gordo on several occasions. He was even my roommate for month once. Dylan is a great guy and an American hero. When he was making version number 4 of his Loose Change movies, "Loose Change 911: An American Coup," I was afraid his computer would crash so I bought him a back-up hard drive to use so he wouldn't lose his shit, literally. He gave the drive back after the movie was done and this clip is one of many that has been living on it for some time.

Without Dylan, there may not be an Operation 365. I asked his opinion on the best way to share all this footage, I'd accumulated. He said I should rip it all form the tapes to disc first. Once I did, there was that much more impetus to do something with it. Meanwhile, Dylan and our pal, Wes Davis decided in my living room to make a movie about Wes quitting coffee for 21 days called "Buzzkill." What I learned from their "Buzzkill" experience was that when you do something every day, you become more inclined to continue to do it. Call it momentum or inertia, if you will. And here we are, 342 days later, Happy Birthday Dyllie-Willie. I will be looking for more clips of you now. In unrelated news, Angel has gas. Not completely silent. Decently deadly. Getting both louder and deadlier by the second. I think I better let her out now.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 342 Acoustic Booze "Common Day Westerner" 4-15-2010
http://youtu.be/Usf8EfjZcjc


Sticking with the Acoustic Booze motif, in honor of longtime Booze bassist, Dyaln Avery's 28th birthday today. This is a fun Acoustic Booze song that I haven't posted yet called "Common Day Westerner." I would say more but duty is calling. In fact, both duty and doody beckon as Angel must go out now. This is "Common Day Westerner" by Blowski, performed by Acoustic Booze. The Booze was Blowski on vocals and guitar, Adrianna Martin-Morningstar on vocals, Patricia "The Militia" Mueller on keys, The Soul Man on guiro, Paul Ruiz on trumpet, me on drums and Dylan Avery on bass.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 342 "11"
http://youtu.be/jx7BnXZbzYc


I can't say I ever expected to be posting "11" as part of the 365. I wrote "11" in late 1994 or early 1995 with a guy named Andy at UMASS-Amherst. I never knew his last name and I don't think we ever jammed again after this one time he came over to our pad at 49 South Prospect. I'm thinking it was early '95 all of a sudden. Maybe sometime around Valentine's Day. So ANdy and I recorded this tune and wrote most of another one. This one was further along. So the recording you are hearing ins the actual one from way back in the day.

"11" is called "11" because it is in 11/8 time, or at least the verse part is. I was singing some lyrics about my heartbreak form that era, using some metaphors I carry to this day. I liked to sing about love and doves. So if anyone knows who Andy is, I think his sister sang lead in some popular regional band back then. I don't remember. Maybe the name had "half" or "moon" in it or something. I gave up on finding Andy long ago. He is listed in the credits on my iTunes as Random Andy. That's how he is known to me. Today is 11-1-11. It seemed like the song to use.

This 11-1-11 is also my friend, Dylan Avery's birthday. Here is some footage that he shot as we were on our way to participate in the Mardi Gras Parade on February 24, 2009. I offer this is the final feather on my birthday cap of tribute to the artist/director/friend known as The Mayor of McSlavetown (he works hard,) The District Attorney (his initials are D.A.), Father of Schweebus, Son of Annie, good man, American hero and my broseph, Dylan Avery.

"I now command you to ride the table." - Tim Clark's Ringmaster friend, 11/1/09
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-aMhyZ7N4w
Table riding commences at approximately 2.25

No comments: