Monday, October 31, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 335

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 341 "The Wobblin' Goblin" by Gerald Marks and Milton Pascal
http://youtu.be/pehcbcmEthI


I'm not sure what it's called "Synergy"? "Synchronicity"? The feeling when it feels like all things are coming together. The feeling that there is a purpose for things and you can see the cohesion of it all.

I for got what I was going to do here for Halloween on the 365 and then when it came down to doing-the-videos time, I remembered, I have known for quite some time. There was a tune we sang in elementary school called "The Wobblin" Goblin." I went back once to old H.B. Milnes and tracked down our old music teacher Mr. Jablonski, Mr. J for short. He was still there. The music room was gone so we had to jaunt to a first grade classroom with a piano for him to give me the chords to this tune and "Don Gato."

So at the moment of truth, I remembered to do "Wobblin" Goblin," but I didn't remember the chords. Now I knew I had them somewhere in my mass of things. The beauty was I went right to em and opened a binder with hundreds of pieces of white paper with song chords on 'em and I went right to it. Stoked. Synergy. Synchronicity. Whatever it's called. I love that.

"The Wobblin' Goblin" is by Gerald Marks and Milton Pascal, but apparently Rosemary Clooney had a hit of some sort with it in 1950.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 341 Justin Mills "Truth Ruins Lives" 1-29-2009
http://youtu.be/42nzobFZgnI


As I mentioned, I'm going back down the line, making sure I hit all my favorite artists one more time on the way out of this here 365. I had a blads ton the radio, 94.9FM in San Diego, discussing all the fun things that are happening with my man, Tim Pyles. I was hoping to put up at least one of every Justin Mills song I have just so they can be out in the world for folks to enjoy. He doesn't play very much, though incidentally, he did release a song exclusively for Facebook users yesterday. he song is called "Ass Wipe" and it was accredited to what I imagine is his new band, G-sus. It seems to include himself and his lovely gal, Adrianna Martin-Morningstar who can be seen knitting and singing in the video.

I thought this pirate-y-sounding tune "Truth Ruins Lives" might fit nicely with our Halloween motif even though I posted another version of it only 149 days ago. In unrelated news, I hope no trick-or-treaters come. To me, it feels intrusive. Maybe that makes me the Halloween Scrooge. Can I at least be a pirate-y Halloween Scrooge? Rrrrrrr, she blows. No candy.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 341 "A Spooky Halloween Song"
http://youtu.be/xCo_VhXmOkk


I hit play and let the magic flow on "A Spooky Halloween Song." It comes as advertised more or less. Maybe "A Funky Halloween Song" would be more accurate, but I am an artist not a critic. Found myself thinking about the old days at UMASS-Amherst. As I did the scat solo on "A Spooky Halloween Song," I thought of my old friend and mentor of sorts, Mike Warrington. Doubt I ever would have going down this road without the influence of 'ole Mike. Who knows? He definitely made me realize this is a road you could go. He dropped me a note on the Facebook that he liked my solo on "Smile, Child," an original from a few weeks ago. My old pal Jason Patterson dug it too.

I'd forgot I'd even soloed on that tune. I assumed Mike meant guitar, but he was digging the vocal solo. He wrote he might transcribe it. From a guy who I watched transcribe the solo to Phish's "Divided Sky" years ago, even in jest, that's quite a compliment. So today I thought of him, as I headed down that musical road. I saw behind me on the couch the binder with all the song in it that I found my Halloween cover, "Wobblin' Goblin" in. On it was a flier from a gig our old band Chameleon Stress played, at Butterfield, a UMASS dorm at that I lived in at he time, from October 28, 1994. So I grabbed it and put it to the screen at the end. Oh, memories... Happy Halloween.

No comments: