Thursday, October 6, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 310

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 316 Robin Lee 12-23-2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxgrQz5NCmU


Robin Lee week continues here on the 365 with another clip of her playing at my Open Mic on December 23, 2008. 2008 was just before things got crazy for my friends and I down here. You can still feel the old, care-free, good friends vibe floating around in the air. I let this clip run long because I thought the banter with Robin, Edem Bastos and myself was too funny to chop off. It is authentic. I love authentic and it doesn't get much more real than Robin Lee. Still has her long hair too here. Very nice. I don't know what this song is, but I do know I love Robin.

Now I got to go watch the Yankees deciding Game 5 against the Tigers live from Yankee Stadium in the Bronx over at the Bunny's house. Amanda, his beloved, is making up some gourmet chicken pot pies. I don't think I've had a chicken pot pie in my life before. You see? Things are always changing in ways we couldn't possibly imagine. They call it that 'cause it's MADE in a pot, right?

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 316 "Instant Karma" by John Lennon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN7d07MYscg


John Lennon was awesome. I admire him. I would like to have a voice and make social commentary and music. The world needs a bunch more John Lennon's, fearless, honest, talented and on point. I did something I rarely do yesterday. I told a couple students that I am Jefferson Jay. I tend to try to keep my personal life school as separated as possible. Any way, a day later, I received some really well-thought out feedback, from one of the students. He said he'd watched many of my videos and that they were real good. A few of things he said were so flattering I wrote them down.

He said my music was "very relatable to what is going on right now." I am assuming he mens the world of war and the popular dissent that is finally beginning to emerge through the inspired and desperately needed Occupy Wall Street movement. Those folks make me proud to be an American, even though I'm sure many Republicans would have no problem with the military slaughtering those people where they eat. They may have to change the word Republican to "crazy, elitist, violent, clueless, greedy, sicko" if this stuff keeps up. I don't claim the Democratic party either, but at least they're not blatantly like this.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/audiences-stealing-spotlight-candidates-republican-debates-195159152.html

Repugnant human behavior.

Anyway, I digressed. He also said I have b=my own style and that it's very lyrical. Thank you for taking your time and appreciating what I do. It means a lot. Hopefully someday, if I do have something valuable to offer the world in terms of art or insight, that connection will be made and I will begin to reach my potential in terms of helping others realize they're not alone and having in impact on people in the world. This Occupy Wall Street peaceful demonstration is a hope-affirming step towards creating the positive change in the world any body not blinded by greed can see is sorely needed. John Lennon would be proud.

A final blast of Republican ignorance:
http://news.yahoo.com/cain-rails-against-wall-street-protesters-234209220.html

Crazy, elitist, violent, clueless, greedy, sicko party candidate Herman Cain, or whatever his name is, says it's anti-American to protest, to dissent. OK?!? How do you think we got here? There was a revolution. If you're gonna write books, first you should probably read one first. How 'bout one involving Washington or Jefferson or any of those guys? Then again, you're a black Republican, so you'd probably prefer a book on Benedict Arnold. You've got about as much a chance of being elected president as me. Congratulations.

A snippet: ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) — Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain on Wednesday called the Occupy Wall Street protesters anti-American and anti-capitalistic.
"Don't be jealous, don't be envious," Cain said as he signed copies of his memoir. "I don't have much patience for someone who does not want to achieve their American dream the old-fashioned way."

What's that, Herm? Slavery?

NOTE: I love all people, but some of the these views are so hateful it's appalling.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 316 "John"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOQV0AnVy1E


So it came time to find an original for day 316 of the Operation 365 I was going through more old lyrics on my laptop when the whole John 3:16 thing came to me. Probably the most commonly found 316 in the world, John 3:16 is the most popularly quoted biblical phrase pretty much, at least at sporting events in America over the last however many years. As I understand it, John 3:16 states... well, I'll just quote it.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
— John 3:16 (King James Version)

OK... Well, I am into the whole God and love part. I believe people should believe what they want to believe, what makes them feel good. I do not believe there is only one "correct" set of beliefs and that everyone who doesn't believe that is "wrong" or will be punished. In my belief system, this is OK though, because people can believe different things. Anyway, I had to make my association for "John" on the 316th day of the 365. I decided to write a song about my brother John. I had never written one about him, so it seemed like the perfect day. I wrote one called "Brother Baby" about my brother and my sister (they are twins, incidentally) but I never wrote one about John alone, until just now.

I am still fascinated by the passing of time and what it all means, a recurring theme in my songs as of late. In today's song, I listed a bunch of noteworthy experiences we shared, some as children, others travelling as young adults. Then I wrote a chorus of appreciation and a bridge. The songs sums up with my brief re-iteration of John 3:16, as I feebly understand it and then reminding my brother about the time we were in our friend Josh's apartment in Hollywood and a candle lit up by itself in the darkness. Our little miracle. Something we can believe that we experienced personally. To me, personal experiences are the foundation for my faith and I wanted to remind my brother about the infinite and cosmic powers the world holds as the parting thought in his "John" song.

I also chose a John Lennon song for today's cover, "Instant Karma." I don't want to say it's random 'cause nothing is, but I didn't even realize til it was all done, that there's another right-on John on the 316th day of Operation 365.

Heartfelt loving shout-outs to John Cannito, John Warner, John LaDuca, John Ciccolella, John Tafolla and Jack Davidson, who's given birth name is John. Go Yankees!

No comments: