Friday, October 14, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 318

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 324 Jefferson Jay "Killing's Wrong" 12-17-09
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPB50IjNV7w


The beauty about me changing the lyrics to "Killing's Wrong" every time is I can post it over and over again without feeling guilty. Most of the songs we played in those days are on my new CD "Gift To Be Alive." I have been saving all those tunes for after the CD release (on 11-11-11 at The Griffin) and a lot of times, that leaves "Killing's Wrong." It's all good. I hope it's a funny one. I didn't watch it yet. Being honest.

In other CD related news, I started a Kickstarter program to help raise the last bit of dough I need to master the record and print it up. Here is a link if you want to see my little pitch. I did it at school. I think I did a good job. Check it out, especially if you don't know what kickstarter is or you want to be part of this fine thing. Kickstarter is a great new organization that tries to help fund inspiring (perhaps un-inspiring ones too, I don't know) art projects.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2116246188/friends-of-gift-to-be-alive-jefferson-jays-5th-cd?ref=email

I've never done anything like this before so I don't know. Figure I have to try. Maybe it will work out. A lot of times, I see people asking for a million dollars (slight exaggeration) on this thing. I am trying to raise a much more reasonable 2 G's. Fun and prizes also. Please inquire within.

In case you don't click, here is the video I made for the Kickstarter. They said to make a video. it's pretty funny.



I am joined at this December 17, 2009 funfest by Blowski on keys, Paul Ruiz on trumpet, Marko Paul on sax, Paul Lopez on congas and The One and Only Soul Man on guiro.

I love this beautiful life.

NOTE: After watching this video, I realized I had a couple more things I wanted to say about it. Watching it made me realize that SDecember 17, 2009 was our last Thursday show of the year that year. The last Thursday show of 2008 was one of the most memorable nights of my life. It was the culmination of a triumphant year for friendship and music and it turned out to be Don Truesdail's last performance.

So much had changed in a year. Friendship and music were still in the house, but just about everything else was different. Most of us were ready for 2009 to be over. There were some great times though. It was the end of the year. This we knew, but it was the beginning of the end for Portugalia, the restaurant where a lot of these shows went down. This we only sensed. There were some pretty big signs, though...

For exapmle, the venue had lost its right to use mics. I guess the owner had upset someone (or lots of people) and they took away his right to have mics. Most of the other shows had to stop because of this, but I soldiered on, adapting my programs as best I could to an old-fashioned truly acoustic format. No mics at all. I thought it was pretty sporty of me. It didn't matter. Appreciation from the venue for my efforts had pretty much left the building. It's OK. It was a good run. I am proud of my work there. Can ya tell?

Also, this was (apparently, I don't remember) the day after I got my new banjo. Before Don died, I never would have imagined myself playing any other instruments besides guitar ande bass, too much. After Don died, I felt a huge calling to. In the first days after he died, someone offered my an accordion. I took it as the universe telling me something. So I got that banjo. I already had one, but this one was way better. Don played with a banjo a bit in his last months, about a year before this was filmed. We jammed with it together some. Well, the interesting part, to me, is, I wound up playing that banjo a lot. I played with Wes Davis in his Clean Dirt Boys band and on the road with him on our April 2011 tour. I had no idea I'd played it on stage just after I got it. Life goes in circles, I guess. I almost never play it now. I like banjo, too...

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 324 "Goodnite, Sweetheart, Goodnite" by Calvin Carter & James "Pookie" Hudson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JpEcPkUkDk


For today's cover, we'll go all the way back to 1955, Marty McFly-style. "Goodnite, Sweetheart, Goodnite" was a hit for The Spaniels. It's a sweet smooth tune. Fun to play. Thanks to me dear, Leanne and Nigel, our pooch and dancing and smooches.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 324 "The In-Love Blues"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YEEzcFuOBs


Here, Leanne and I got busy on a little instrumental blues jam. Shucking and grooving, we scat and rat-a-tat-tat through a sweet blues progress in the key of Love Major. Awwww...

I love you, honey.

No comments: