Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 309

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 315 Robin Lee "?2" - 8-13-2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5zmQF5qudM


Did I mention I hate when I don't know the names of the songs I post? I know I did. It's like telling someone to come to your show and not telling them where it is. My only solace is that it's better then not posting it at all. At least it's shared, even if it's name remains shrouded in mystery. Maybe that's appropriate as Robin Lee is a pretty mysterious gal. I miss her. Here, she is, doing it with Annie Rettic on violin at Joe and Jen Stevens' wedding reception on August 13, 2008, an amazing day no matter how you slice it.

I married them. In fact, I became a Reverend with the express purpose of doing so. Who knew it would come up again and again. I have two more weddings loosely scheduled for next year. Life is so full fo change it's absurd. Speaking of absurd, I've been working up a storm these days. Speaking of storms, I heard it might rain tonight. I hope that doesn't adversely effect my Open Mic.

Shout-outs to Blowski, Jilian Doty, Alan Silva, Clifford and all the other folks who make the friendship feel in these last few Robin Lee clips so damn tangible you can taste it. What else can I say. Hilarity, love and righteousness. Free Robin Lee!

This was filmed by Dylan Avery.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 315 "You're the Best" by Joe Esposito
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9k0UZjt4lM


I remember when I was 8 or something, the family had decided my Cousin Ben and I should go to the movies. They decided to send up to some flick neither of us had ever heard of, The Karate Kid. By the time we walked out of the theater, we were beyond hooked. To this day, I still bust out Daniel-San's finishing kick move from time to time. What an awesome movie, especially when you're 8. So, I always had You're the Best" in my crosshairs for this here 365. I'm glad the day has finally arrived.

When I teach, or sub, or whatever, I pretend that I am the most pompous, conceited person ever. I say stuff, form time to time, like "it is your honor to be here with me." Some kids get the joke. Others probably think I'm serios. Either way, it helps to get through the day. It's only October 5th. Geez. No matter. In a perverse way, I am trying to teach them self-confidence and that if they love themselves even half as much as I love myself, then that's a good start. They are kids. They may miss all this. I have no idea, bit I've got get through the day somehow and that's one of my moves. I like to see myself as a Mr. Miyagi for the modern age.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 315 "Me and Oscar"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iarY5pf0Vg


So I needed an original for today. What else is new? I peruse my laptop for some stray lyrics I could put music to and found "Me and Oscar." Oscar was a Mexican guy I worked with at one of the many random temp jobs I had long ago. I had tons of 'em. I've been a phone psychic, an arrow sign waver and a stuffed animal at little kids' birthday parties. That's just the tip of the iceberg. Just the tip. So somewhere, somehow along the way, maybe in Jersey. I worked with Oscar.

I barely remember and may not remember it at all if I hadn't written this future song. In a way, that's the whole point of writing stuff down, or doing this whole 365 even, to remember what happened. Why does that matter? Why study history? Why know anything at all? Anyway, I vaguely remember Oscar was a good guy and we laughed together. Or maybe I just read what I wrote down. Memory is funny in that way. I have a blurry image of what it looked like outside this workplace but I have no clue where or what it was. I guess that wasn't what was important about that job. That was Oscar.

No comments: