Thursday, October 27, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 331

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 337 Dan Nichols - 1-19-2010
http://youtu.be/aV-eagZFYaA


This is Dan Nichols. Holy crap. This extra inning World Series action is awesome. I need to turn it on now. Hell yeah. Go Cards. This is Dan Nichols being funny and playing piano at my Open Mic on January 19, 2010. Dan is super talented. He did a version of "(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher And Higher" by Jackie Wilson that I'll never forget.

He is an interesting and avante garde performer. In fact, this is a pretty avante garde day for this here 365. Enjoy the final word thrown in here by my pal, Rob Zero for good measure. DAVID FREESE BABY!!!!!!!!!! I'm likin' me some David Freese right now. I love baseball. George W. Bush is sad now. Ha ha.

"How did this happen?" - Tim McCarver

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 337 "Sweet Dreams"

This is dedicated to Dylan Avery, who chose this for today's tune and was jamming out to it the second he was born in 1983... on headphones. When asked for comment his mama Annie Avery, simply winced and answered, "Ouch."

Due to an abundance of horribly wrong chords on the internet, I will have to return to this number at another time. Boo false facts!

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 337 "She Bop" by Cyndi Lauper
http://youtu.be/FrgEpsJ0jBs


Cyndi Lauper was a childhood favorite of mine from roughly the same time as the song I was originally planning on doing today The Eurythmics' "Sweet Dreams." I had to veer from that plan when wrong chords from the internet killed my buzz about the tune. No matter. "She Bop". When Cyndi (and the great, late, Captain Lou Albano) merged rock and wrestling, that right there may have charted a path for me. I had no idea. Her clothes... Fabulous. Absurd. Maybe Cyndi Lauper is one of my hugest influences and I don't even know. Wow. My mind is a little blown right now about that.

So I had heard "She Bop" was written about spanking the monkey and now that I played I can say with confidence that "She Bop" is definitely about spanking the monkey. No question about. Exhibit A... Well, pretty much the whole lyrics. I'm not going to print them all. I've already done that ONCE this week, but it's blatant. Go Cyndi! Do what you got to do.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 337 "It's Time To Clean Up"
http://youtu.be/_qk6SrZ_khA


The irony of playing a song called "It's Time To Clean Up" after doing "She Bop" was really the last thing I was going for. It's actually kind of gross. Hmm. Was it subliminally intended I now wonder? If everything is meant to be, everything happens for a reason and nothing is random, then how can this be? It can't Ew.

Anyway, I wrote this song earlier today with the thought in mind that you could use it to torture your kids when it came time for the to clean up the room. I was teaching all day today. The little guys like giving me a run for money. At the end of the day, the more fun teaching, music at the ARTS Center to little kids, I started playing this song and it worked. They actually listened and didn't seem to mind it too much either. To me, it seems kind of repetitive, Redundant, if you will.

So I thought of this song as sort of a kids' tune/gift to parents to musically browbeat and/or playfully antagonize their children in straightening up their zone. That's what I initially meant it for. Damn linguistics and their infernal context.

In unrelated news, my longtime artist, John Warner, made my album cover today. The cover art looks great. He is blowing up huge doing work for Furthur tour and all kinds of other exciting events. Congratulations John and thanks for another amazing job!

1 comment:

dylan avery said...

Perhaps it should be "She Mop"

You know, depending on the volume of the load expelled.