Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 315

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 321 Jefferson Jay "Killing's Wrong" 10-8-2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMHYiJUMSgU


I went to an activist meeting in San Diego with a bunch of other artists long ago. This old-timer spoke up and said in a gruff voice, "We need new protest songs, and ones with melodies we can sing. The next morning I awoke from dream with "Killing's Wrong" playing in my head. It was easy to figure out. It is G-G-C-D the whole time. I change up the verses every time, just to keep me on my toes.

I went down with my sweetie to check Occupy San Diego last night. There was a bit of a heavy mood because somebody had fallen off a building and died earlier in the day. It wasn't entirely clear if the incident had any thing to do with the movement. They thought it didn't. It was nice to see folks gathered together with the express purpose of making things better for all people. I have been aching for this for ages.

So in solidarity with everybody who wants to live in the best world for all people possible, today, I post, "Killing's Wrong" from two years and three days ago. I am joined here by Richard Romero on bass, The Soul Man on guiro, Blowski on keys and Paul Ruiz on trumpet. Dig it.

NOTE: Re: The media's insistance on a "set of demands" for the Occupy Wall Street movement.
"There doesn't need to be a set of demands the set of demands is. We should all treat each other like humans in a positive way." - Destructo Bunny

Amen, brother.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 321 "Celluloid Heroes" by The Kinks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOFmgoqJWfg


Back in high school, my rock n' roll future was laid out for me in part by a little group we had called The Boptones. The Boptones were a student/teacher rock band that played classic hits from the 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s. It was fun. We would practice on Sundays and at the end of the year we played our big concert to a sold-out auditorium with 80 screaming friends and fans. You can see ow this could a lasting impression on a young mind.

In fact my rock n' roll dreams were born before I even tried out for the band. Early in high school, I attended one of those shows and instantly became a huge fan of Chris Scelzo. One year older than me, Chris was a guitar hero. He was the kid who wore a ie to school each day. To me, he was Jimmy Page. In part because he played Page's "Heartbreaker" solo note for note. "Heartbreaker" might have been the next year but it was one of those Zeppelin tunes.

I instantly befriended Scelzo, thrilled he would even have me as his amigo. We are still friends to this day. He loved The Kinks and when his turn to be band leader arrived, one of The Kinks' tunes he chose was "Celluloid Heroes." "Celluloid Heroes" tells an interesting story about what happens to famous movie stars when their moment of fame is over. The song details a "walk down Hollywood Boulevard" over the names of all the great movie stars of yesteryear. Stepping over trash, the walk is a metaphor for how far folks fall from the the grandeur of the silver screen. It questions what fame, status and humanity really mean. Pretty deep tune, huh. Hail Scelzo.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 321 "Happy Birthday Dad"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43pkk8av7Lc


Today is my Dad's birthday. Haven't written much about my Dad here in the 365 so far. I briefly touched to a little spat we had months ago, but I am glad to say that is long int he past. Thank goodness. I love him and thank him for being my Dad. Without a Dad, I wouldn't be much. I wish you happiness, comfort, peace and perspective, things all of could use a healthy dose of, always.

No comments: