Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 308

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 314 Robin Lee "?" - 8-13-2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLDELaq_ebI


I wish I knew the name of this song. I hate posting stuff and then not being able to tell folks exactly what I'm posting. I do know this. It's Robin Lee and she's awesome. She is playing with Annie Rettic on violin at Joe and Jen Stevens' wedding reception on August 13, 2008. It was an unforgettable night with several great performances and tons of great vibes. I love these days, but I miss those days too. It's a dichotomy.

This was filmed by Dylan Avery.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 314 "Junkhead" by Alice In Chains
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVx5BOzbZaM


Alice In Chains is probably my favorite band that I haven't covered so far in the 365. Them of Al Green? Nice, right? And "Junkhead" is one of my favorite Chains tunes. It's off their epic album "Dirt" which meant so much to me when I was a highly disturbed 18-year old. So I was gona do a goofy version of it, (it's a very serious song) but I wound up somewhere in between. Took me a few time. Busy days these days. Working every day again, usually more than one job. It's a rat race, and now I feel like I've been chasing cheese. I have been, waiting for things to change. My opportunity awaits. One can only hope.

Layne Staley, Chains' singer was a pretty disturbed dude himself. You can pick this up from the lyrics to "Junkhead" (and all their songs) pretty easily. Layne's singing and the painful honesty in his lyrics have been a huge influence on me both musically and personally. In a really dark time for me, back then, I looked to Layne, and he made me realize, there was hope. It could be a lot worse, like it was for Layne. May he rest in peace.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 314 "Ten Four"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXjG-bYoPP8


Life develops in changes in ways we can't possible imagine. This happens all the time. When I was in high school, imagining a world where everyone has cell phones, where an ipod can cart around your whole CD collection, and where computers do pretty much everything would have been preposterous. Life changes like that all the time. Look at 9-11 and everything that followed from that. Who could have foretold? No one.

So as I've gotten older, I've learned to go with these changes. "Resistance is futile," some Star Trek guy once said. Life throws curveball after curveball and all we can do it is try to learn to hit the curve. It doesn't matter how attached you are to fastballs. A curveball is coming, always. At this point in life, I embrace it. So in honor of this surrender to the whimsical nature life, I wrote "Ten Four." It is meant in the context of life, life decides what direction to send me and I respond with the old CB affirmative, "Ten Four."

It is no coincidence that today's date is 10/4. It is on purpose. Also, I chose the 10th and the 4th deliberately. "Ten Four" is in the key of A. The notes I chose are the 10th and the 4th of A, B and D... Well, they were supposed to be... The 10th is really a 3rd though and I chose B instead of C by accident, so forget all that. It's moot. I tried. Either way, I was inspired, even if it was erroneously.

I wrote two sets of lyrics to this jam. One I them, I tried to explain what I maybe, the other, one I tried to illustrate it. This one is the latter. Maybe I'll post the other one tomorrow, if I'm so inclined.

No comments: