Friday, October 28, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 332

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 338 Randy "The Cat" Chiurazzi "Grooves Me" 11-3-2009
http://youtu.be/PuaoPadR_Fc


I wasn't sure any new people were going to be making their way into the 365 at this late juncture. Let's face it. The thrill ride is almost over. I'm going to have to start going through my mainstays once more here in the Archives and then gearing up the grand finale. and I assure you, a grand one it will be. I'm going to go out on a limb here. Anticipate the greatest climax in Operation 365 history coming up here in these next few weeks. So, I am glad Randy "The Cat" Chiurazzi snuck in.

I had considered posting Randy numerous times before. Unfortunately. every time I was going to post him, I was unsatisfied with the clips I found. I caught him slipping up once or twice and didn't want to put that out there. I assuaged that concern of mine, by not watching this clip first. I watched it enough to know it is called "Grooves Me" and it his tribute to DJs and the music they make.

Randy is a funny, unique performer. I enjoy him and his company. Every chance I get to take it in. I do it. I was even a guest on his home-filmed internet talk show once. It was funny. I pretended he had an inappropriate shrine to children on his wall. He got flustered and had to start spinning around his webcam to prove his innocence. I thought it was hilarious. I gave him a chance to interview me first, but he didn't have any questions so I took over. Good times.

This clip was filmed at my Open Mic about two years on November 11, 2009, the day before the Yankees won the World Series.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 338 "The Ballad of Billy the Kid" by Billy Joel
http://youtu.be/Injgb3TUVIc


I did a decent version of "The Ballad of Billy the Kid," especially considering the complete and total lack of piano. Billy was in his prime then and really kicks ass on this tune. I look hideous. This your face on work week. I promise to be much less greasy tomorrow. What can I tell ya? I would have liked to play it even better, but there are only so many hours in the 338th day. I guess it's truly subjective. Pretty cool tune, Billy. Thanks.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 338 "Isabelle"
http://youtu.be/PuaoPadR_Fc


So I was teaching some younger kids today. They got all the classes in the grade together. I don;t know if it was 2nd or 3rd. They told everyone a girl named Isabella is coming back to school next week after being out for a long time with lymphoma, a form of blood cancer. She had the chemo and is cancer-free now. Thank God. I was moved by this story. My heart goes out to this poor little girl and all she's gone through. Her parents also. I got a bit emotional thinking about all the horror this poor young girl has had to endre. And what a triumphant tale as she returns to school.

They told the kids that cancer is not contagious and they they should not make fun of Isabelle because she doesn't have hair. They told the kids that she and her family didn't do anything bad to deserve this. Heavens, no. Then they showed a Peanuts movie called" Why, Charlie Brown, Why," about a little girl who is friends with Linus who gets leukemia. It was both tragic and life-affirming. Tragic in that a young child could have to deal with such difficulties and life-affirming in that they can endure, survive and emerge from such a struggle.

So, we songwriters, being as we are, write songs. I hustled back to my classroom and got on it right away. I already had it playing in my head for half an hour. I just had to write it down and finish it. I then made my way to an empty music room and fingered it out on the piano real quick. It's mostly C and F.

I have never met you Isabelle, but I hope to some day. Isabelle, if you ever see this, your story inspired me today. I look up to you and how you handled this situation and I am excited for you to get back to school with all your friends. I hope you like the song I wrote for you.

No comments: