Monday, November 21, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 356

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 362 Jefferson Jay "Us Against the World" 3-21-2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bN8trYGDG1w


So it was probably about 4 years ago. I had been donating my time for years in the fine art community of San Diego. I would play benefits and stuff. There are a lot of patrons for the visual arts in san Diego, not so much for music. So I got this idea that I would start a non-profit organization to help improve conditions of music and musicians in San Diego County. That thought became the San Diego Musicians Collective. You can visit us here sdmusicians.org. Our goal is to eventually establish a center for music in San Diego.

Well, this is all a lot of work and I don't have a lot of time. So it moves along as fast as it can. These days, I spent my charitable time volunteering and teaching Music at an awesome non-profit call A.R.T.S., A Reason to Survive. They help kids grow and heal through art.

Anyway, the SDMC almost had a place to call our own on a few occasions. We were heavily involved in pursuing a place at an old theater in town on 10th St. Technically, we've never received a response on our submission for space rental, so who knows maybe we're still in consideration.. or maybe they just forgot and moved on. Either way...

So a very good friend of mine, Joan Seifried, who was involved in the this Musicians Collective idea from its inception (I had my little epiphany at her house) asked me if I would write a song about the 10th St. theater project and the arts community to play at one of our meetings there. I obliged and debuted "Us Against the World on the roof there, some time ago. People have liked the song, so it has remained in the loop.

There are some lines in there about a boy and a girl meeting and a couple lines about a "pearl."

Well, I wound up meeting a wonderful woman named Leanne Pearl, and as we know, I don't believe in coincidences. So cheers to Joan, wherever she is. A douchebag criminal-esque dude, she was seeing led her to want live elsewhere. I can't say I blame her, but her friends and the arts community here, both miss her very much. Joan is an exceptionally cool woman. She deserved a million times better than that felon in con man's clothing and I hope she has found the happiness she deserves, wherever she is right now. Thanks Joan, for all the inspiration you offered and thanks for asking me to write this tune which turned to be, "Us Against the World."

You can download "Us Against the World" or any of the other tunes off my new CD, "Gift To Be Alive," here.

http://jeffersonjay.bandcamp.com/

This version of "Us Against the World" was recorded on March 21, 2010.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 362 "My Way" popularized by Frank Sinatra
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X2U1HCmHWE


I'm gonna let wikipeda have the first word on this one with dome details about "My Way."

wiki: "My Way" is a song popularized by Frank Sinatra. Its lyrics were written by Paul Anka and set to music based on the French song "Comme d'habitude" composed in 1967 by Claude François and Jacques Revaux, with lyrics by Claude François and Gilles Thibault. Anka's English lyrics are unrelated to the original French song. "My Way" is often quoted as the most covered song in history.

Cool. I love this song. I can relate to it as one who does thing his own way. For instance the Operation 365.

"Yes, there were times. I'm sure you knew. When I bit off more than I could chew. Through it all, when there were doubts, I ate em up and spit em out."

Continuing from the Book of Frank and Ank (songwriter Paul Anka,)

"To think , I did all that.. and may I say, not in a shy way
Oh, no, oh no, not me. I did it my way."

Amen. It's been a great Operation 365. It has enabled to help make some dreams of mine come true. Hopefully, it shows by example that you can do whatever you put your mind to, even if it is impractical, cumbersome, or unwieldy.

Singing Frank Sinatra songs is fun. It's what I do when I Karaoke. I haven't Karaoke'd once this whole year, so it's not very often. Anyway, I thought this one was an appropriate one to include, so I did. Doing things one's own way is a beautiful way to live. Anyone can copy cat or follow the leader, and there's nothing wrong with that. But without folks who do their own thing, their own way, the world would be a very boring place.

Peace and love and individuality...
make life so much more fun and interesting...

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 362 "Us Against the World" 3-11-2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if8s8NrkX9I


"Us Against the World" is Tune 11 off my new CD, "Gift To Be Alive." It was inspired by the local art community in San Diego. For years, I have been working in my limited spare time on a non-profit I started called The San Diego Musicians Collective. You can check out what we're all about here. www.sdmusicians.org.

"Us Against the World" says that if we work together it wouldn't need to be "Us Against the World." Long ago there was a basketball league called the NBA. A team called the Miami Heat went and got three of the best players and then unified behind the mantra "Us Against the World." Color that one the many ways I could have made dough and didn't. If I had visited Miami and sold some shirts with that on it, I may have made some dough. No matter. There is no NBA now, but if there was and the those Miami Heat players took the message of the tune "Us Against the World" to heart, maybe they would be more successful. I think they only got the first part of the "Us Against the World" message. The real is like I said, if we worked together it would never be if we work together it wouldn't need to be "Us Against the World." It wouldn't need to be "Us Against the World." Got that LeBron?

You can get it yourself, buy clicking below. There, "Us Against the World" and the rest of the tunes off my new CD, "Gift To Be Alive" are yours for the taking.

Peace

http://jeffersonjay.bandcamp.com/

No comments: