Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 358

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 364 "Making Time" 7-19-2006
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyC09nfkZy8


It's a shame we can't all be friends forever. Maybe someday. You know I've spent a lot of time here on my friendships that have remained strong for years and years. As we know, things don't always go that way. The friendships that end have their place though as well. For a time, we walk with these people, sharing a journey and then we diverge. We're not always meant to go the distance, it seems, with everyone we feel close to.

So back in 2006, my social circle was very different. Most of the people I have grown close to were drawn in one way or another through Portugalia and my programs there. Before Portugalia, I ran an Open Mic at O'Connell's called The Hot Fudge Sundae. It was festive, though a bit caustic. The humor was flying fast and furious around there those days. Nobody escaped unscathed. Being form Jersey, to me this was all in good fun, but there were some other folks who I realized after the fact, were not laughing. Quite the contrary. More like crying.

July 19, 2006 was before things fell apart there. Perhaps it was the high point of that little era. My Jefferson Jay Band opened up for Steely Dan and Michael McDonald at The Verizon Wireless Amphitheater (formerly Irvine Meadows) on a side stage. That was the largest crowd I ever played for. Everybody who walked in the venue had to pass by us. The food eating zones were all around as well. Picnic tables and everything. It was fun. Someone took pictures. We had a 10-piece band that night with a full horn section. What d'ya know,people line up to come out and play when you're opening for Steely Dan. In creepy sidenotes. They gave us 30 or so seats to the show for our whole party, all in Row KKK. Why would you even have a Row KKK?

So I would like to dedicate this one to Happy Ron Hill, Rob Johnston, Shirley Giltner, Gabriela LaLicata, Chris & Steve Merlin, Rick & Laurie the Llama, Cheryl and all those folks from back in the day of the Hot Fudge Sundae that I don't talk to much anymore. We had a lot of great times back then and I remember them fondly. I would like to extend that sentiment to Jason Nascimento, former proprietor of Portugalia and everyone who was once in my band or in my circle of friendship and isn't anymore. We had tons of great times. Those are the one I choose to remember and I remember them fondly. Peace and love to everybody everywhere.

The soundguy at this gig saw to it that all our levels maxed for some reason. What you hear here is the best I could do to make "Making Time," then known as "I'm Making This Time Mine," sound right.

"Making Time" is the last song on my new CD, "Gift To Be Alive," which can be head here.

http://jeffersonjay.bandcamp.com/

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 364 "Wish You Were Here" by Pink Floyd
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk4BME9WjvY


I have saved "Wish You Were Here" for near the end of the 365. It's one of those tunes everybody loves and lots of folks play. Plus, Pink Floyd is at the top of my favorite bands pantheon. So, it seemed like a fitting tribute. I was happy to have Mr. and Mrs. Cheeseburger into the abode to back me up a bit on the jammy.

I had trouble getting the song to record. One of my favorite facets of the 365 was all the times I forgot to make sure the mic was one. So I got two or three good reminders of what that feels like here on this tune, right near the very end. So we did it again and again. I tried to bring a couple of the unsung segments of this tune to light, so I hope you dig it. There's got to be a half a million versions of "Wish You Were Here" on the web. Hopefully, ours is in a at least the top 250,000.

Shout-outs to all the folks I wish were here on this blessed Thanksgiving Eve.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 364 "Making Time"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJPl_oNkSEg


"Making Time," then known as "I'm Making This Time Mine," was the first tune I ever wrote on keys. A lovely ballad, it is probably the oldest tune found on my new CD, "Gift To Be Alive." We had a gig coming up at The Belly Up Tavern back then and I got an idea that I wanted to write something special for that magnificent stage. Something special large enough for the room. Then, a dream came true and we got offered to open for one of my all-time favorite bands, Steely Dan. It was awesome. I jumped up and down when I found out it was going to happen.

Dudes lined up to be in the band for that show. We had ten pieces including a full-horn section. It was a blast. Steely Dan, rocked as only they can. Michael McDonald played too and sat in. I was inspired.

I was thinking I would to to play this on Nancy Truesdail's piano for kicks but time is running short here and I had to cut crucial moments when I could. Like now.

"Making Time" is the last tune on my new CD, "Gift To Be Alive," which I hope you will listen to, and perhaps even download, here.

http://jeffersonjay.bandcamp.com/

Time is a gift, depending on what you do with it.

Believe.

NOTE: Day 364 of the Operation 365 is dedicated to Scott Zensen. Scott was a devout supporter of the San Diego music scene for a number of years. He passed away the night before Thanksgiving a few years ago. I always enjoyed Scott's company and spirit. He was very kind to me. Thanks to David Matt Green for bringing this occasion to my attention. Peace Scott. I'm glad to have known you.

No comments: