Monday, December 5, 2016

Operation 365 2... Blog 347

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay – Covers – 347 “Spanish Harlem” by Aretha Franklin



OK. “Spanish Harlem” is not by Aretha Franklin. It' snot by Ben E. King either. Fine... It's by Phil Spector, currently serving 19 years for second degree murder... and Jerry Leiber. Are you happy now? I am playing this today, because I could swear I heard its haunting serenade last night as I watched the climactic season finale of HBO's "Westworld." That's quite a show. HBO takes art seriously. You have to respect them for that. I decided then I wanted to cover it today.  I struggled to determine which key it was in, listening to the King version. Then I switched to Aretha's sassy sounding "Spanish Harlem" I threw caution to the wind, took her lead and made it my own... a little. It's kind of like "Westworld" in that way I bet. Although, I've yet to see the Michael Crichton's 1973 feature film of the same name. Soon come.


Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay – Originals - 347 “Not Phil Rivers’ Fault”


Local protagonist Phillip Rivers is probably a pretty nice guy. I’ve never met him, but I’m thrilled to give him the benefit of the doubt. That said, I’m a good deal less enthused about his quarterback play than many of my noble neighbors. I think we are evaluating on two different scales. I look at the bottom line; wins, losses, that’s the main factor when you are the guy with the ball in your hands. So, Phil helped blow it for the Chargers with another untimely 4th Quarter interception, it was like the sun rising in the east and setting in the West. Beyond predictable. All but certain. ABC. Other folks think Phil’s great statistics counterbalance for that. I don’t. Or they look back ten years ago and they came closer to winning than they do now. But still didn’t win. Oh, Phil.

Wow, that was a chunk of work. Writing “Not Phil Rivers’ Fault” and recording, editing and posting it for you. I would have liked to play it right in fell swoop, but it was brand new and it was getting dark and I think losing is contagious. That’s the whole point of the song! The good news is there’s another point to the song as I am scheduled to make my highly anticipated return to The Mighty 1090’s (www.mighty1090.com) The Scott and BR Radio Show this Friday, at 5:35PM PST and now I have something to croon.


Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay – Words – 347 “Phil Rivs, What Gives”


No offense, Phil. I know I’ve given you a ton of grief, but it’s only cause I care. If you win, we all win. We are all one. And your 4th quarter implosions aren’t helping anyone but your opponents. Here I apologize and offered encouragement that you can reach your fullest potential as you approach the final act of your enigmatic career.

No comments: