Sunday, December 11, 2016

Operation 365 2... Blog 353

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay – Covers – 353 “Jingle Bells” by James Lord Pierpont



Holy Sunday. I mean that  more figuratively than literally on this occasion. Life is complicated. TO football. To not football. To fantasy football. To not fantasy football.  To win. To lose. To be welcome any time. To not be welcome at all. To be 8 yards away from rushing for 1000 yards. To being injured and out on a Phil Rivers fumble in the 1st. Life is complicated.

I stayed up 'til around 4, working on the next CD, "The Best of Operation 365," featuring 12 original tunes from the first 365 in 2011. Then I made these videos. Figured a little less work after I woke up Sunday mornings. Now I'm typing and I wish I somehow psychicly knew that Melvin Gordon injury was going to happen. My wife and I are in a fantasy football showdown, with the play-offs on the line. Mel Gordon. Phil Rivs. San Diego sports fan suffering. It rubs off on you. It's contagious. That's why it's important these teams try harder, do better... Then again, the Chargers may move to L.A. in a few days, so... If they do, it's addition by subtraction. One less loser team. I'm a believe that if you don't want to be with me, I don't want to be with you. So... Chargers do what you got to do. And we just have to hope to avoid being collateral damage.

Oh, and  “Jingle Bells. ” By James Lord Pierpont. Who knew? Folks be loving this song. What's not to love. Rumor has it it's a Thanksgiving song. Who knew? Please pray for Dick's SportingGoods. That's the name of my fantasy football team. We are really. We are named after Dick. Mariposa Dick. Hail.

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay – Originals - 353 “The Magic Snowwoman’s Song”



So, I am in the Christmas play zone. This week is what we affectionately described in our high school theater group, Hell Week. To me it's more like Heaven Week. To get to work with this lovely bunch of special needs actors and then culminate with our two performances on Friday, December 16. It will be a sublime week and I can't wait. Working on this musical, "The Hunt for The Great Christmas Tree 4:One for the4 Ladies" has been a true delight. There are not enough superlatives to accurately convey my humble pleasure and pride in this project. What a wonderful cast and crew.

So, it appears I'm letting these songs from my Christmas musicals leak out slowly. I was going to hoard them, but what they hey. Allow me to set up "The Hunt for The Great Christmas Tree" for you. Oh yeah, I wrote a press release. Maybe I'll attach some of that. Writing press releases... Makes 365ing seem sexy.

"San Diego musician and personality Jefferson Jay is directing his original holiday musical “The Hunt for The Great Christmas Tree 4: One for the Ladies” on December 16, 2016. Jay works on music and talent development at St. Madeleine Sophie’s Center, which has served the needs of adults with special needs in El Cajon for fifty years. This is Jay’s third consecutive year directing his original musicals, having directed “The Hunt for the Great Christmas Tree” in 2014, and The Hunt for the Great Christmas Tree Too: The Wreath of Cans” in 2015.

St. Madeleine Sophie’s Center asked Jefferson Jay to stage a show for the Holiday Celebration in 2014. Jay was inspired by a special needs production of The Wizard of Oz to write the first ”The Hunt for the Great Christmas Tree.” The cast and crew range in age from their 20s to their 80s. They overcome their challenges and work together wonderfully as an ensemble. They memorize their lines, sing their songs, enjoy each other’s company, and have lots of fun. Auditions were in September. Weekly rehearsals have continued since then on Wednesdays. The December 16th performance happens in the parking lot outside St. Madeleine Sophie’s Center as part of their annual Student Appreciation Holiday Celebration.

“There are tremendously talented people and they are a delight to be around. They are hugely appreciative and have the greatest attitudes you could ever ask for in a cast,” said Jay. There are some similarities to The Wizard of Oz. It features a family, The Pearls, and their home, where the stories begin and end. All episodes of “The Hunt for the Great Christmas” occur on Christmas Eve. In Dorothy’s place, there are four children and instead of Oz, the children adventure out into the snow forest. Much of the action takes place in the snow forest like the blockbuster Frozen. There, the kids meet The Magic Snowwoman, The Snow Angel, and The Great Christmas Tree. These folks learn life lessons together and share a lot of affection, paralleling the experience of the cast itself.

Jefferson Jay has written several more musicals of “The Hunt for The Great Christmas Tree” series His long-term goal with this project is to make the first ever television show starring exclusively special needs actors.  Maybe it would ultimately be a cartoon. Jay would love to share these nice stories and the incredible individuals who bring them to life with the world.

“The Hunt for The Great Christmas Tree 4: One for the Ladies” is a coming of age story for the girl, Kid #2. She is maturing faster than her brothers and is afraid others won’t accept her as she changes. The Great Christmas Tree is left to explain women to her confused brothers. The Magic Snowwoman helps her realize that she’ll be loved, even if she changes. Each musical ends with a loving reunion with the whole cast of characters in the living room moments before Christmas Eve dinner. 

There are two performances of “The Hunt for The Great Christmas Tree 4: One for the Ladies” on December 16, 2016 at 9:00AM and 12:00 NOON. There will be a performance by the Malashock Dance Company during the intermission as well as an ASL musical performance by the St. Madeleine Sophie’s Center sign language class.

Jefferson Jay is currently completing the largest daily Internet project in the history of the Web, for the second time, with his Operation 365 2. Since Christmas 2015, Jay has posted three videos (an original song, a cover song and some “words”) to his Youtube channel (jeffersonjaydotcom) every day. He also blogs as a companion to the videos his website www.jeffersonjay.com The Operation 365 2 concludes on December 23, 2016.


The Jefferson Jay Band has been playing in San Diego for over a decade. Jay’s 7th CD, “The Best of Operation 365.” The CD will feature 12 of Jay’s favorite songs from his first Operation 365, (2010-2011) and it will be available on his Sweet Information Records. Jay has been hosing his Winston’s Wednesday Welcome Open Mic in Ocean Beach at Winston’s, Wednesdays, from 6-9, since 2012 and is a contributor to The Mighty 1090’s The Scott and BR Show. The Jefferson Jay Band plays at Rosie O’Grady’s in Normal Heights on January 7, 2017. He originated and has hosted Acoustic Evenings at The Athenaeum, at La Jolla’s The Athenaeum Music & Arts Library, featuring many of San Diego’s finest songwriters since 2008."

Well, there's a lot of info. That's what The U-T's George Varga asked for so, I obliged. Yes.

So in the first “The Hunt for The Great Christmas Tree," we meet all the characters and this is the song "The Magic Snowwoman" sings when she makes her big debut. Here, the actress who portrayed "The Magic Snowwoman" sang in that first play. We have a different actress this time. All of these folks rule. I am blessed. Here, my friend not only remembers al the words, but changes a few to synonyms for her own unabashed amusement. Hail. 


Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay – Words – 353 “"The Nihilist" by Don Truesdail”



It was late. I opened my web cam and stared at myself, but only from the brain up. I admired the darkness as I tend to do. It was late and but that I mean early. 3:35, or something.  I had just watched the season finally of South Park. It was an academic deconstruction of the role of trolling and the Internet in the modern age. Nihilism was discussed. It was late and I was tired and now I can scarcely remember any of the finer details. That's when then happens then and now happens now.

So I thought of my dear friend as I do in the darkness in the sanctuary of these late night early mornings. I thought of Nihilism and I typed "The Nihilist" into the little box in the upper right corner of my Mac. I read the words of the tune by my dear friend Don Truesdail, whose reassuring presence, I feel always. Then I made movie magic happen. Then I went to sleep.

Now it is day. I saved only these words for my post-awaking artistic adventure. People play football in snow. I type, walls and windows away from a 66-degree day, in sunny San Diego, Southern California. Grateful for every second of every God-sponsored day. Believe what you want. To me, that's A-OK.

Time to learn what I'm talking about, before it's too late.

Thanks to the Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy for ...

"Nihilism is the belief that all values are baseless and that nothing can be known or communicated. It is often associated with extreme pessimism and a radical skepticism that condemns existence. A true nihilist would believe in nothing, have no loyalties, and no purpose other than, perhaps, an impulse to destroy."

Well, gosh! I don't believe in that. I can't imagine Don Truesdail does either. Character sketch, anyone? Irony? I may have to read those lyrics again. I think that may have been the point.

In the meantime, I'm very disappointed in Matthew Stafford right now, and in myself for starting him in this fantasy football folly. It's not too late Matt. Come on!!!!!!!!

No comments: