Thursday, February 3, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 65

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 71 "Touchdown" - co-written with Dr. Bobby Brown
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t5wEcpPYbY

"Touchdown" or "The Meathead's National Anthem" as it is parenthetically titled seems awful appropriate with the Super Bowl just around the corner. Dr. Bobby Brown, my stepdad and my mom came to visit me during the great year of 2008. Shortly before they departed, Bobby busted out the lyrics to the first verse of this tune and I asked if I could do something with that. I sure could. And did. I busted out the rest of this tune pretty quick before tacking on the Simon and Garfunkel's "The Boxer" inspired end to this ditty. I'm not sure if they realized they were saying "lie" and die:" over and over again but I did.

This song is penned about the plight of your average, American, thick-headed, short-sighted selfish jock, otherwise known as Ben Roethlisberger (or for that matter almost anyone from my high school's football team)

G
Reprobate
C
Alienate
D
Inebriate
G
And Consummate

That pretty much says it all as far as I'm concerned. But hey, I'll be watching the game... as soon as I get back from celebrating the Chinese New Year with my baby Sunday morning. Also significant in this video is the first public appearance of the world newest, coolest, mutty, little pooch, Nigel. Behold and be happy for us, despite your natural inclination to be jealous of his astounding cuteness.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 71 "Ramblin' Man" by The Allman Brothers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zF3cTApcr_w

The Allman Brothers are awesome and probably one of the most underrated rock bands ever. "Ramblin' Man" is a super cool tune. Not sure I'd ever played before, but now I have. I hope you enjoy the imaginary slide solo there. Really tasteful stuff.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 71 Wes Davis and Friends - 2-4-2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HenOKa01bGg

This clip is from February 4, 2010, a year ago tomorrow, I just realized. I've played a ton of music with Wes and these guys since then and we've got a lot better, but the good vibe, friendship vibe that makes what we do so special to me is fully on display. Growth and documenting history are a big part of Operation 365 so I'm including this here. This group of people features Richard Romero on bass, The Soul Man on guiro, Wes Davis on guitar, and me (Jefferson Jay) on banjo. We are friends and we have fun. God bless this life. This is Wes's awesome tune "Honolulu."

No comments: