Friday, February 4, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 66... The Devil's Blog

I'm not so sure I get that whole "6 is the devil's number" thing, but who am I to argue with Satan?

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 72 "P.S. It's You"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23IJTayF9cA

I have meself a little cold today, but I figured I'd bust out this vocally ambitious number anyway. "P.S. It's You," was indeed part of 2010's Summer Songburst, a precious and prolific period in my life. Tonight, I will be jamming this tune and other with my friends in preparation for our Jefferson Jay Band show at Winston's in Ocean Beach tomorrow evening at 6PM. It's free. Hope to see you. If not, enjoy this video anyway.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 72 "Diff'rent Strokes - Alan Thicke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf2f9LgF3ps

"Diff'rent Strokes" is actually by Alan Thicke, Gloria Loring and Al Burton. That Alan Thicke, what a talented cat. Maybe I should give him a call. I loved "Diff'rent Strokes," the show as a kid, even after it got horribly preachy and cheesy. Could have lived without the Dudley molestation episode as a kid personally, creeped out by it to this day... but how could you not love Arnold Jackson? Just the other day I found myself reading Gary Coleman's wikipedia. Fascinating. Poor trainwreck little guy. I dedicate this version to Gary. Hope you find some peace the next time around.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 72 Jefferson Jay & Friends - "Brand New Mind" - 2-4-2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5hEQ6n_v3o

Been really digging the vibe of this 2-4-10 show, one year ago today incidentally, so I will be sticking with it through the weekend. Here the crew is playing one of my tunes, a brand new on at the time called "Brand New Mind." I wrote on January 13, 2009, the one year anniversary of my super amigo, Don Truesdail's passing. Paul Ruiz on trumpet, Soul Man on guiro, Richard Romero on bass and Wes Davis on guitar. These guys are all my dear friends and that's why I felt comfortable throwing these (relatively simple) songs at them on stage even though they'd almost certainly never heard them before. Gosh, it's fun, playing music with your friends.

No comments: