Friday, February 25, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 86

Operation 365 – Jefferson Jay – Archives – 93 Jennie Buss - 4-21-2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG4Yfc4fmoA

Jennie Buss was a regular of my programs. We've lost touch, but I stumbled upon what I remember as one of her finest performances. Here, Jennie, is ranting passionately about 9/11 and American excess and injustice. I don't know if she wrote all this, or learned it from somewhere else and it doesn't matter. (OK, I did the research, How could I resist? Ani Difranco wrote it.) Even if she memorized it from someone else, (She did.) the magnitude of that chore, can not be understated. Her words are direct and powerful, impulsive and energetic, angry, intense, and rightfully so. Power to her for speaking publicly on these matters that effect each one of us. It is impressive, important and I am honored to be sharing it with you here.

Jennie is being backed here by Paul Lopez on bongos, The Soul Man on guiro and Clifford M. Jomuad on bass. Jennie also writes tunes and plays guitar. Nicknames she had at my show in those days included "The Oaktown Southpaw," and "The Mouth of The South." This was recorded at my Open Mic on April 21, 2009. Righteous.

Operation 365 – Jefferson Jay – Covers – 93 "Baby, Hold, On" by Eddie Money
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4aKNQNcqPo

This was a tune my pal, Chris Scelzo, got me into back in the day. All those years ago, Chris and I would drive around in his Hyundai, which was always littered with tapes. As we travelled to some New Jersey diner, he would put me through the paces of the unsung treasures of the classic rock world, as he saw it. I appreciated the companionship as well as the education.

Chris got a kick out of the orgasmic interlude near the end of this tune. I played down a little bit, but this song is classic and makes me feel good. I think money is little more than a necessary evil in our world, but Eddie Money, he's pretty cool.

Operation 365 – Jefferson Jay – Originals – 93 "Amethyst"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZaGzqkAYUU

I was finishing up school and I came upon just the right original number to do for my 365, "September." It's easy, I had the words on my laptop, I hadn't done it yet... it was perfect. Except, it talks about marijuana. Now, it's not Cypress Hill or Peter Tosh or anything, but it mentions it and I was recording in a school, so I decided to pass on that one for today.

So what to do, I asked myself. I decided the only solution was to write a tune then and there real quick and do it that way. So I used the big white board and started writing letters. Actually before I did that I walked over to the keyboard with y eyes closed ands picked a note to use as my key for this jamboree. It was F. The song followed quite naturally form there.

It seems there's still a whole lot of people in this world who think that being mean and greedy is the way to go. I couldn't disagree more. Those misguided folks have a lot to learn and I know a little mistress named karma is who's gonna teach 'em when the time is right. I was a bit bent about how one of these narrow-minded types was treating my girlfriend at her job and that helped inspire this number, "Amethyst."

The point of "Amethyst" is that money can't bring happiness or love. Those come from inside and up above. There's no secrets, there's no charms, there's no magic stone that can help you. There's only karma. So miserable people, spread your misery if you must, but the one you're really hurting is yourself. My condolences. The point of this song is my attempt to explain to you the error of your ways. Being mean is not cool. Here's hoping you don't have to learn the hard way.

No comments: