Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 63

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 69 Ocean Beach Road Show Pt. 1 - 2-28-10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CarTPwq_5w

Welcome to the 69th day of Operation 365. What better way to celebrate than with Wes Davis. It doesn't seem like a year ago, but it almost was. happy February everyone. hThis clip was filmed at the initial offering of The Ocean Beach Road Show on February 28, 2010. Here we have Wes Davis on guitar, Paul Ruiz on trumpet, Jefferson Jay (me) on sitar, Blowski on keyboards, and Ricardo Gutierrez on percussion. The Ocean Beach Road Show was conceived as a collaborative community concept people can contrubite to something greater in breadth than what the artists might do individually otherwise. This year, The Ocean Beach Road Show will continue to pick up steam as we take outs how to the road. Wes and I, representing The Road Show are currently planning an acoustic tour for early April and that is coming along quite nicely. We will be in Blue Lake, April 5, Sacramento on April 7 and San Francisco on April 9. Much more news to come. Enjoy the Ocean Beach Road Show here as it was born. Here's hoping there's much more more. Coem to OB,. You can join the Road Show too.

TAGS: Ocean Beach, Road Show, Ocean Beach Road Show, variety, musical, trumpet, sitar, gu zheng, Jefferson Jay, Wes Davis, Paul Ruiz, Blowski, keys, cabassa, djembe, Ricardo Gutierrez, February

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 69 "Squeegee" by Wes Davis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7i8DPKcL-A

Wes Davis is awesome. He is a dear freiend of me and always cracks me up when I need or want to laugh, which is often. We played a gig together in Julian a couple of nights ago and that was fun and I am beginning to get really excited for our tour with The Ocean Beach Road Show in April. Here, I am covering one of his country classics, "Squeegee," an awesome song. Last night at my Monday night Open Mic at The Turquoise, we had the pleasure of playing some of Wes's tunes with some exceptional guests. I play banjo when I back up Wes. You can hear some of that at wesdavismusic.com

Last night we played 3 of his jams with Orv on flute and world class kora master Amadou Fall on kora. We played a few high-energy, transcendent songs right near the end of the show. It was extremely fun. Then Amadou put a cherry on the night with an amazing set of his own. Really cool life this is, yes? Come kick it with us on a Monday some time at The Turquoise, 873 Turquoise St, from 7 to 11. Peace

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 69 "What You Make It"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J2WElSg34Q

"The truth is what you make it." That is the simple biut of wisdom at the heart of this song. I remind myself of that often as I go from day to day. This tune was called "What You Make It" initially and then I switched it to "Truth" and now it appears back to "What You Make It." The point remains the same. Things can happen, you can react however you like, but ultimately what you get out of it all is up to you. I like the balance, the justice, the poetry, and the symmetry in all that. The world seems like madness a lot of the time, but if you breathe deep, use patience and look carefully enough, sometimes themes shine through.

One line in this tune that repeats a few times is "I have listened to the angels and the madman in my head." I wrote this years before I got my beloved Poochessa, Angel and I don't believe in coincidences. Angel is my angel, my better half, my best reference. These are all titles I've told folks before when discussing her. I love very very much. She is the good Angel on my shoulder, unequivocally loving me through happiness, sadness and everything. I like happiness. I am claiming it as my new currency. Let all kinds of people battle it out over dollars. They are bypassing the true value in life, amassing grand collections of green paper instead. Happiness, you can grab as much of it as you want. It won't take up any space in your house and you can have as much as you want without taking any from anyone else. In fact, the more you have, the more there is. All hail happiness... or don't.... You choose.

No comments: