Saturday, February 19, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 81

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 87 Robin Lee 8 - 2-19-2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MWO2Y72eNg

I think this is funny. Life in the 21st century. It is like a commercial of some sort, which makes it even funnier cause these folks ain't exactly the commercial types. Cellphones...

Robin Lee to your right. Jack Davidson on the left. Soul Man, not pictured, laughing. 2-19-2009 is the date this was recorded. Be back tomorrow with more Robin Lee from 2-19-2009. Tomorrow, I'll be posting her classic, "Be On Top." Peace

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 87 "Sloop John B" - Traditional
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZFi9X3FovQ

"Sloop John B" is a tune I always liked since the first time I heard it, when I got into The Beach Boys' "Pet Sounds" record many moons ago. I just woke up so it's a little scratchy, but that's OK. I learned this tune is traditional and has been covered by many artists, most notably by The Beach Boys, though, in my opinion.

Other troubadours who've taken their shot at "Sloop John B" include but are not limited to The Kingston Trio, Johnny Cash, all these guys (The Calypso Bandits, Japanese rock band Ulfuls, Joseph Spence, Tom Fogerty, Roger Whittaker, Jerry Jeff Walker, Dick Dale, Catch 22, The Ventures, Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, Relient K, Dan Zanes, Okkervil River), Carlos Soriano, and now, Jefferson Jay. Thanks again to wikipedia for their co-operation.

Hoist it up, baby.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 87 "Julie"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ffq9Bezeoo

This is one of the first songs I ever wrote. It is part of a little triumvirate of the first tunes I ever wrote, with "Down South," and "Chapter 4," which I have not yet played for the 365. "Julie" is also unique as it is to this day one f the only instrumental tunes I've ever written. "Death of a Loved One" and "Be Flat (off my "Yellow" CD).

I remember writing "Julie" pretty explicitly. I was sitting at round a fire in a cul-de-sac in Arcata, CA probably in '95 or '96. I was talking to a girl named Julie, who was really cool and I found her somewhat inspiring. A little while later, I was at the beach, sitting with my guitar on a big rock, just a little ways in to the water. I kept playing and came up with all this. Eventually the tide had come in more, so I had vamoose before that was no longer an option, but not before I wrote (probably) my first song, "Julie."

I don't hink I ever saw Julie again. Maybe once or twice in passing. Fortunately my sister's name is Julie, so I think I told her the song was about here and who knows, maybe it is. She clearly outdistances all other Julies in terms of significance in my life. Honorable to mention to Julie Boyden, my friend also known as J-Blow. It's not what you think . I promise.

Seems to be an unintentional good day on 365 for my sister and brother, the second one this week. First we had my Brother Baby song, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHByOhSkb9E) that I truly did write about them on purpose and now today, my brother John's name in "Sloop John B" and my sister here, "Julie."

Maybe it means I should give them a call. Sounds good to me.

No comments: