Thursday, February 24, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 86

Operation 365 – Jefferson Jay – Archives – 92 Justin Mills - "Price of Love" – 12-11-2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8OPtoUdvDY

Serendipity? Fate. Yesterday, I finally unleashed Justin Mills on the Operation 365. My Facebook link to that video received a comment from none other than Justin's loving girlfriend, Adrianna Martin-Morningstar. She alerted me, via the world wide web, that although Facebook might not tell me so, today is Justin's birthday. Wonderfully, I had already prepared a second day of Mr. Mills without even knowing this fact. How about that.

I should re-iterate, how much I dig Senor Mills as a person and a songwriter. I truly considered it an honor to back him up on my cute, little, blue Ashbory bass and I think his songs are epic. In this clip, from December 11, 2008, Justin is joined by his Greens of Mind bandmates, myself, Jefferson Jay on bass, Charlotte James on violin, Barbara Tolbert on vocals, a special appearance from the recently retuned to San Diego, (both then and now) Wes Davis, on hand claps. This is another of Justin's excellent jams, "Price of Love." Happy birthday to you, General Mills. You are a great friend, a terrific person, and a fabulous songwriter, whether you like it or not.

TAGS: Justin Mills, Price of Love, price, love, Charbra, Charlotte James, violin, Barbara Tolbert, vocals, Wes Davis, Jefferson Jay, Ashbory, bass, cute, little, sexy, handsome, attractive, Greens, San Diego, live music, General Mills, Facebook, serendipity, fate, birthday

Operation 365 – Jefferson Jay – Covers – 92 "Your Mother Should Know" by The Beatles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8nqsuo9fm8

A cool Beatles tune, I first learned for a job I had, a few years back, teaching elementary music. I thought it would be fun and cute to have my first, second, and third graders singing this jamboree and I was not disappointed. Well, I was disappointed when I first started asking in May and the principal didn't tell me 'til October that I could have my job back but at half as many hours and with three extra months off I didn't ask for. I was unhappy about this. No matter, they withdrew that offer the next day, when I had the temerity to consider it for 24 hours. This is life in the field of education.

To my point, San Diego Unified Schools are about to cut ALL jobs for music teachers in elementary and maybe middle schools. They don't care. If I was on a career path here, I'd be about to be fired no matter how good a job I did, because teaching kids music isn't considered important. Neither is treating teachers like they are worth a spit. You imagine people care about kids and learning and stuff like that in education, but that is not the case at all. The proof of that is in the garbage they feed kids at the cafeteria and a million other things. Maybe it's hopeless. The kids don't want to be at school. Teachers don't want to be at school. Maybe it's just everybody making te bet of a bad situation.

The point I was trying to make at the beginning of this rant was, I think it's terrible the petty and duplicitous way that teachers and administrators act 90+% of the time. And parents are almost as bad. It makes me sick and it's way I have no designs on a career in working in elementary, middle, or high schools ever. Nobody cares. Like I said the other day, we teach kids one thing; sharing, kindness, co-operation. Adults are conditioned to practice exactly the opposite; taking as much as you can for yourself and stepping on whoever gets in your way, often complaining all the while. Clearly, I've been spending far too much time in schools lately.

Operation 365 – Jefferson Jay – Originals – 92 "Full House"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtfBuJVhWc4

It seems some recurring themes are driving their way into my 365. "Full House," which I was in no way planning on doing today, popped up and sometimes, that's all it takes. "Full House" is my rap song about my ongoing relationships with the dead folks closest to me, Don Truesdail, Tony, and my grandpa, and grandma. The term "Full House," in this context, refers to the five of us all together as one.

I like using poker analogies in songs. Poker is popular these days and analogies (and poker) are fun. Even though the guitar part is fairly easy on this song, (A minor, repeat), it is challenging rapping syncopated lyrics and keeping a steady beat. Also there's a lot of lyrics, so memorizing it would be more difficult than a regular tune. Not that hard. It might be cool to add this tune to the repertoire some day. I haven't played it live yet. Anyway, I feel close as evr to my full house family and it's reassuring to know, it's never over. Love lives forever.

No comments: