Thursday, February 17, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 79

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 85 Robin Lee 6 - 2-19-2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxLbYaPR2-Y

I don't know the name of this Robin Lee tune, but it rocks. It is the most progressive, by far, of any of the jams I ever heard Robin play and it is still evocative and soulful. This was from a show Robin played on February 19, 2009 with Jack Davidson on lead guitar and The Soul Man on guiro.

Before the set, James (The Destructo Bunny) who was working sound that night, went up to Robin. She thought he was giving her the "one more." I can be heard saying play as many as you want, or something like that. I was aware then that this was a special moment and I wanted to make it last as long as possible.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 85 "Tubthumping" by Chumbawumba
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBcj-Yjaqio

I like this song a lot. I think if I was a tad younger, I might find it to be horribly uncool, but I'm not so I like the relentless optimism that this song brings. Sometimes we have setbacks. Some people are douchebags. It's unfortunate. I don't like to think that way. Maybe I should say, some people act like douchebags. Unfortunately for musicians a lot of those douchebag-acting people own bars and restaurants.

Long story short, The Turquosise Cafe Bar Europa hosted an amateur male stripping contests Saturday night and the owner (who I'd been trying to reach for a week) asked me to "pls fwd" the text he sent me about it. This is a sixty-year old man with a baby. No thanks. Ew. I think I'll take my service elsewhere, again. No more Turquoise for jeffersonjay.com. If anyone wants to hang on a Monday, I'm once again available.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 85 "Dirty Filthy Stinkin' Bush"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOuWDMXgYIo

This song was a mainstay in my repertoire during the last few years of the W. Bush administration. Kinda outdated now. Always felt if I made a youtube vid of this back in the day, people might've dug it. But I wasn't ready to be doing stuff like that just then, apparently. It is still a nice tune. I'm glad Bush is gone, but I got a sky full of chemtrails, rising gas prices, no health insurance, tax cuts for the mega-rich, and a couple endless wars to remind me that we've got a long way to go.

Shout-outs to Don Truesdail, who always dug this tune when I played it and Naomi for convincing me to write it in the first place. For whatever reason, I flipped the second and third verses in this rendition. Who knows? Maybe it's better that way.

Our country was born from revolution, a long, long, long time ago.

No comments: