Monday, February 14, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 76

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 82 Robin Lee 3 - 2-19-2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4f9EjAZuwE

This tune features some classic Robin Lee deep lyrics, "each breath I take is borrowed, each day I live is borrowed." It's all about, what we have is the moment. I remember...

"It'll take my death before you ever see me..." It makes me wanna cry. I miss her so much. At the end of this tune, (I wish I knew what it was called, She said "Abyss" right before she played and I'm gonna guess that's what this is called) she dedicated it to our dear friend Don Truesdail, who passed away just 5 weeks before. As I watch this video, I remember being there that night and hearing her sing these words. Maybe there were tears that day. There were often back then.

Diversion: It is amazing how quickly people can return to the pettiness after heavy shit like this happens. I could never be one of those people. Ever.

There are some nice close-ups of Robin, Soul Man and Jack Davidson. When this was filmed, Robin had already been arrested. She had weed on her allegedly. A bunch, allegedly. She is supposed to be serving a bunch of time, like twenty years or something, for those affronts to humanity, delivering people medicine. Delivering that medicine was something Robin believed in and she was a woman firm in her convictions. Who knows where she is right now. Jail? Istanbul? Iowa? I have no idea. I just know I miss her.

I am glad we musicians leave stuff like this behind. I am glad we had all those moments that we shared, because those are what life is all about. Knowing someone. Sharing their space. Learning from their experiences. Laughing together. This song is awesome. There is a lot of deep wisdom in it. I cherish the time I spent with Robin so much.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 82 "How Can You Mend A Broken Heart?" by The Bee Gees
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Skrr8NXk7AE

Now I don't give too much of a crap about Valentine's Day. In fact, as I get older, it becomes more and more clear to me that every holiday is pretty much an excuse for people to sell and buy more stuff. This song is beautiful though. I especially love Al Green's version.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 82 "Valentine Song"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv_TVuuXZFU

I came this close to forgetting to record the "Valentine Song." on Valentine's Day, during Operation 365. For years, at this time, I've thought I should make a youtube video of this song and put it out. I figured if I did, every year at this time of year some people would take notice and appreciate it. I'm not sure there are any other Valentine's Day songs. Much less, ones that are pro-love, but very definitively anti-Valentine's Day.

I never knew Operation 365 would happen though, so I never imagined the video would be of me sitting in a room by myself on Valentine's night, and playing the song, in a Yankee hat, to my screen. Either way though, the song is out there now. We'll see if anything happens by 365 days from today. I'm glad I remembered this tune exists, before tomorrow. "Valentine Song" is on my Blue CD from my "Primary Colors" trilogy and can be listened to and enjoyed at jeffersonjay.bandcamp.com

No comments: