Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 78

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 84 Robin Lee 5 - "Pool of Tears"- 2-19-2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r29EChnCSj8

Here is another for my "Week of Robin" funfest. Did you know Robin is my family name? It's true. She is awesome. I've been getting some great feedback from people who appreciate the opportunity to commune with Robin here through her music. So I'm glad my work is being appreciated. It feels good. I love Robin and to be able to share her music is a gift, I am honored to be able to give.

Here she is playing one of her classics, the moody and intense, "Pool of Tears." She is joined on stage at my show from February 19, 2009, by lead guitar superstar Jack Davidson and living legend/former Nazi ass-kicker, The Soul Man, on guiro.

Peace

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 84 "Brother Baby"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHByOhSkb9E

"Brother Baby" is a tune I've never played out live, that I wrote for brother and sister as a gift, of sorts. It is about them, and the lyrics reflect on who they are as people and some of the times we've spent together, like the time my brother and I crawled up a volcano and the time we were sitting in a room and a candle lit up out of nowhere. I think it's a nice little song. Still may never play it out, but glad to get to share it here right now.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 84 "What's Going On" by Marvin Gaye
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMD7bWPYZ_E

"What's Going On" by Marvin Gaye, the album, is one of my favorite albums of all-time. Top 5 for sure. So many great stories attached to that album. One, it starts with him and his buddies BSing. His buddies, who played for the Detroit Lions, sing back-up and I think that sets the tone for the chill, good vibes journey that is "What's Going On."

Another cool thing about "What's Going On" is Motown, Gaye's label, refused to put it out. They didn't think it would be commercially successful. Marvin wouldn't budge, got his way, and proved Motown very wrong. Way to stick to your guns, Marv! Finally, the coolest thing about this record, besides the music itself, is the message.

I yearn for the day when hugely popular recording artists would go out there with their beliefs like a flag waving in the breeze, proud and committed to doing what they could to improve the world around them, as opposed to taking as much as they can for themselves while saying nothing of any substance. Marvin addressed the war, the environment, peace and a million other issues that are just as important today as they were then, but are nowhere to be found on any of the 350 channels on television or really, anywhere in popular culture, to speak of.

I wish so badly that somebody (and I would be particularly stoked if it was me) could have a voice in popular culture to represent for the millions of people out there, who still think these things are crucial to our happiness and survival as a people and a planet. In the 60s and 70s, many artists from Marv to The Beatles and tons of folks in between, spoke out poignantly and courageously about meaningful matters. Unfortunately, the only place that this discussion continues is on these same records that are now 40 years old. I believe when that discussion begins in a public forum in earnest, the discussion about how we can make our world a happier and healthier place for all its inhabitants, I believe that will be the beginning of us reclaiming our world for ourselves and our descendants. I hope I get to see it my lifetime.

No comments: