Friday, February 11, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 73

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 79 Dennis Moore, Pt. 2 - 7-6-2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crQ4-bzU-uk

I decided to share Dennis's second song from my Open Mic on July 6, 2010. Dennis, a friend of mine from UMASS, way back in the day, was visiting from his home in San Francisco that day. It is always great to see him and we always have a lot of fun. I'm looking forward to catching up again in the Bay Area, in April, when Wes Davis and I are there for our Ocean Beach Road Show tour.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 79 "Under The Milky Way"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY9 jzzHakXY

One take is always nice. Especially when it's a song you haven't played in a really long time. "Under The Milky Way," by The Church, was one of the first cool, "new wave," songs that friends got me into long ago. My friend Scotty, his sister Elianna was into all this cool music and passed it all on to him. So Scotty was hip to The Church, Yo La Tengo, Robyn Hitchcock, The Pixies, and many other cool bands, long before I knew anything about anything musically. My friend Eugene would later supplement this new wave knowledge I was acquiring, with mix tapes and the like, Jane's Addiction, The Smithereens, Red Hot Chili Peppers... This was before even Lollapalooza, so these bands weren't super known yet.

Anyway, this was one of the first tunes Scotty turned me on to, that really grabbed me and I still think it's awesome to this day. Nice job, The Church. Way to songwrite!

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 79 "The Little Bird Song"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkmXrBOz1Sg

I wrote this tune one night a couple months ago. I was about to head over to my girlfriend's house, fairly late at night, and then this whole tune came to me, more or less. I always try to respect the inspiration when it comes, so I sat down with my guitar in front of the computer and recorded the first version of it. I haven't played it much since. I saw the chords I typed out sitting around and decided to go for it. I like this tune more than I remembered.

Although it is about the life and plight of a little bird, thinking about stretching it's wings and flying out into the world for the first time, the metaphor is about me (or you) doing the same thing. I am excited for the tour we are going to go on, as little birds in the world, in April, and I hope to do much more.

I have been reading this week on facebook... I love and hate facebook. Sometimes its really bums me out... Anyway, I've seen some folks are doing well, sharing their wares all over the world, and I hope to be doing the same, more, soon. I feel confident and comfortable with where I am as an artist. Connecting with the world and finding the people who need you as bad as you need them... Well, that's another challenge entirely. I keep wondering when it will get easier.

Probably, when you spread your wings and fly to find those friends. I think that's what the song says.

No comments: