Saturday, February 26, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 87

Operation 365 – Jefferson Jay – Archives – 94 JJ "Hear What I'm Thinking" - 2-12-2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o9Gt9leONg

This is from a birthday party on February 12, 2010. The party wasn't for President Lincoln, but it probably should have been cause that is his birthday too. At this show, I was showcasing new material and this is a song called "Hear What I'm Thinking" that I wrote with Justin Mills and Oliver Levenson in Summer 2009. Paul Ruiz is joining me here on trumpet.

There is some audibly wasted-ass dude in the audience. If you stick around til the end, the dude tells me he loves me and I say thank you. Thank YOU.

Operation 365 – Jefferson Jay – Outtakes – 94 The Writing of "Amethyst"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu72HuS423E

I've been preparing a lot of outtakes lately but deciding on to share them. I recorded it, as I wrote "Amethyst" in the classroom yesterday, and was thinking I'd share it here for anyone interested in my creative process. Watch it if you follow such things with interest. If you want to hear the actual song "Amethyst," click here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZaGzqkAYUU

Operation 365 – Jefferson Jay – Covers – 94 "I Love A Rainy Night" by Eddie Rabbitt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GRenQ9H__s

I love this song form back in the day. It was a rainy morning here in San Diego and I was inspired to seek out Eddie Rabbitt. I have always gotten Eddie Money and Eddie Rabbitt confused and doing their songs on back to back days should make it permanent. Leanne and I practiced this song in the morning a bunch, then got breakfast, did a crossword puzzle, watched the game, recorded with Blowski, it got sunny and we did it again. We had fun. Maybe I'll share some other outtakes some time.

This tune is sweet. No surprise it reached the top of the charts in 1981. I never really realized until today that it was a "country song." Thanks to my dear sweet special lady, Leanne Pearl, for claps, snaps, and raps on this one. We are going back to the studio with Dylan Avery in a bit. What to do with the remainder of out afternoon? Drive to the snow, sit at the beach, something else? Ahhh, the possibilities...

Operation 365 – Jefferson Jay – Originals – 94 "Magnificent People"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH4YXacdJWE

This is a song I wrote when I lived in Arcata in 1999. It is pretty self-explanatory. It is a tribute to all the magnificent people working hard to stay that way in this world. It appears to be a nice bookend to my new song "Amethyst," that I wrote and recorded here yesterday, which is a song advising all the underachieving folks on ways to be more magnificent.

No comments: