Monday, January 31, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 62

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 68 "Greenville" by Lucinda Williams
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HotxxNfPBaI

Without really intending to, I did a bunch of songs these last couple days about relationships in peril. I am glad to be on the opposite end of that dichotomy these days. This tune "Greenville," I played a bunch, several break-ups ago. I felt bad that I did the breaking up and I would play this song and be sad about the ending of the relationship and imagine what my ex felt like. I feel like the whole song-playing thing was pretty cathartic, so it wasn't hard to summon those emotions once again while playing this tune. I liked the emotions in it so much that I included "Greenville" despite the fact that I clunk one note in there pretty hard. Hey, nobody's perfect. When I told my friend, "The General" Justin Mills, that I liked to always strive for perfection although I knew I would never attain it, he empathized, "That must be terrible," he said, "knowing that no matter what you do, you're always gonna fail." I hadn't thought of it that way and I've thought of things a little differently ever since. Thank God for friends and perspective.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 68 "Race, Class, and Gender"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZwX8ck-PU4

This song is what I learned from my first semester as a Graduate History student at San Diego State University back in 2000. We learned specifically that history had been written from the perspective of rich white guys and only since the mid-1960s had other voice begun to fin d their place in the narrative. I thought this was really interesting so I wrote a reggae song about it and shared it with my classmates. Seven short years later, I graduated with a Master's degree. Take that Billy Cheek and Lizzie Cobbs-Hoffman, my 2 SDSU thesis advisors who were supposed to help me but had more important things to do. In the 60s, when you guys (Bill and Liz) fought and stood up for what you believed in, you understood the importance of following your passion and your heart. I wish I had met you guys then. Maybe we could have helped each other much, much more. I'm sure

A student just asked me what my songs are about. I told him I talk about how people should enjoy life, treat each other right, and get as much out of life as as possible. I said sometimes I sing about funny stuff or things that happen in life but I do have a point. I think a lot of people have got it backwards in this world. People think they should try to get as much as they can for themselves. I told him, "if you have everything than everyone else has nothing." And then the bell rang for lunch...

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 68 "Running Out of Time" - Live at The Whisky A-Go Go - 2-1-2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPz0NH3kM0g

Operation 365 has been posting clips of The Jefferson Jay Band live at The Whisky A-Go Go on February 1, 2007. This track is called "Running Out of Time" and it is the final track left for me to post from our unforgettable evening at The Whisky A Go-Go.

Honestly, that place only cares if you sell tickets, plus they make you pay for them, and I don't care at all if I ever play there again. That said, it was an experience on my short list of things I really wanted to do before I die and no one can ever take that away from me. No other venue is on that list, so I am free and clear there. It is a huge stage and The Doors played on it. The Police played on less than a week after I did, announcing their reunion. So thanks to the Whisky for having us, even if they'd have anybody willing to buy 50 tickets to their own show.

The Jefferson Jay Band as it was in this video featured Damon Stoll on bass, Johnny Avelar on drums and The Soul Man on guiro. Playing the Whisky was a dream I had for years and it was a terrifically fun time.

TAGS: Running out of time, Jefferson Jay, Whisky A Go-Go, Whisky, Sunset Strip, Hollywood, legendary, L.A., Los Angeles, Damon Stoll, bass, Soul Man, guiro, Johnny Avelar, drums, Les Paul, Gibson, guitar, doesn't matter

No comments: