Monday, January 10, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 41

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 47 "Drive" by The Cars
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGh-GhPymPo

I've always liked this tune since it was one of those early videos on MTV back in the 80s. The Cars had a number of cool videos and I think the won Video of the Year in 1983 with You Might Think. Something like that. Lots of cool stuff back then in retrospect. Who knew? Cyndi Lauper, Culture Club, ZZ Top, Dire Straits, The Police, Prince, Michael Jackson, much more.

I knew I'd eventually do this song cause I've played it before over the years. Earlier today, I heard it one he radio and told my girlfriend Leanne, I'd do it some time and it would sound a lot different because there's no guitar really in this song. Today became the day. Hooray!. Nice song Ric Ocasek.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 47 "Backman"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucYSG0B1M6I

"Backman" is one of the earlier tunes I ever wrote. I wrote it in the Plaza in Arcata. I think in '96. It is called "Backman" because lyrically it is the sequel to "Frontman," which appears on my "Red" CD available at www.jeffersonjay.com. It is another song about people making choices to lift themselves up and get the most they can out of existence. A self-empowerment hymn I guess. Well, maybe more of a hmmm than a hymn. I wrote the lyrics in 1995 watching the great Sam Maez play trumpet with his legendary Monday night band at the old Jambalaya.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 47 Karla Mi Lugo - 1-31-2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEeTshqoH9g

I asked Blowski to pick a random date. I planned to use that date as a jumping off point in "randomly" selecting a clip for today. Then I will scroll to a "random" place in the vids and see who it is. Here we go. Oh, Blowski chose January 13. I'm pretty positive I've neve done a show on that day that was recorded so I chose the closest thing, January 31, 2010. Let's spin and see who wins.

Karla Mi Lugo was the winner. She is interesting and Blowski approves of his incidental selection. Karla is something else. Here she sings about how she was born yesterday. I've never seen anything like her before or since. I haven't seen nor heard from her since soon after this video was made. Behold Karla Mi Lugo.

No comments: