Monday, January 17, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 48

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 54 "Wooden Boats"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mYWwu9jhhU

Been on a bit of a playing-tunes-off-my-old-albums kick these last few days. Guess I'm gonna have to get to (more or less) all of these tunes some day. Here s an interesting one. The back story to this jam is... Years ago, I was sitting at a bar in Point Loma. Next to me was this older gentleman. His name was Bert Ohlander. I remember. He told me he was an Olympian in Rome for the Finns in 1960 and later wne ton to race Porsches in the late 1960s. He told me he'd sold like 15 to Jerry Seinfeld. He was waxing poetic about the majesty of wooden boats, about how the way they floated on the water was different and how they don't make things like they used to anymore. I told him what I did and he invited me to his boat the next day to check it out. If I wrote a song about wooden boats he said, he couldn't bring it to Jerry, but Jerry's manager owed him a favor...

So we went the next day. We were a little late so we didn't go out on the water. This was fine with me cause Bert said he had vertigo and got dizzy sometimes at sea. Scary. Anyway, we had a lovely time and I wrote "Wooden Boats." "Wooden Ships" was taken. "Wooden Boats" appears on my 1st CD "Great Story" which can be had for a donation at wwww.jeffersonjay.com

This version is a bit different than the one on the CD. I disco'd it up some for fun and think I may have mildly altered a lyric or two. I hadn't played the tune in quite awhile. Peace and love.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 54 "Breathe In The Air" by Pink Floyd
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W10gEa6YDRU

I can't believe this is the first time I've gotten to Pink Floyd in my Operation 365. Floyd may be my very favorite band. "The Wall" and "Animals" are in my Top 3 favorite records of all time and "Dark Side of the Moon, "Wish You Were Here", and "Meddle" all crack the Top 10. The seventies were quite a decade for Floyd. While this is my first Floyd offering, it will not be my last. I foresee "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" and "Wish You Were Here" in my crystal ball arriving shortly-ish.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 54 Chimney Fish with Soul Man - "Futures" - 12-6-2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRh51ZFCiiQ

Figured I'd do one more day of Chimney Fish for now. I've got quite a bit of them in my archives. "Futures" was always one of my favorite ones though. "We Don't Care About the Futures" may be the full name of it I think. Pretty neat to have such a blatantly sarcastic title for a tune I think. Blowski and I were watching the sunset a little while ago. Thanks to Angel for reminding us to go out. We were talking to a man named Sonny who has ALS as the big ball of fire went down. He was describing some of the war games he was watching off the coast near our home here in San Diego. We agreed that if people would put the same amount of focus (energy, attention, money, care) that they put into killing people into making things right, the world would be a much healthier (happy and safe) place. To me, that's kind of the same message I always got from this whole tune here, "Futures." Well written one, Mr. Walling!

No comments: