Sunday, January 9, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 40

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 46 "Honolulu" by Wes Davis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmQcV0wTYIk

I mentioned previously that I played banjo in 2010 with Wes Davis and The Clean Dirt Boys and hada great deal of fun doing so. We were playing a lot and having fun and I was even getting decent on the banjo. Since Wes moved to Santa Cruz in September I'm not sure I've played any banjo at all, but today, I needed some 365, my guitars are elsewhere mostly and I decided to go for it. I played a coupe takes of "Honolulu," one of my favorite Wes Davis tunes, but ultimately I went with the first one. This is the first time I'd played in awhile, but it's OK. Lovin' the Angel vocals and dance steps in the background. I wonder what she wanted. It's impossible to say.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 46 "Eat My Flesh and Bury My Bones" by Robin Lee with Jack Davidson on guitar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z5Yw2Cb8YM

Yesterday was my dear pal Robin Lee's birthday. She is somewhere in the world right now. I have no idea where. I love her a great deal and she is on my mind lately. I'm sure many other people in our community here in OB feel similarly. We miss and lover her. Here she is performing at my birthday party in 2009, 4-15-2009, with Jack Davidson on lead guitar.

This is Robin's most progressive number by far. A t least as far as the ones I heard. I was playing with her for awhile. Eventually, she showed me this one. I like some pretty funky progressive stuff myself, but I was a bit flummoxed. I'm glad she and Jack hooked up. It was easier for him to keep up. Robin, you're a great person...

I should note that even though Robin was on my mind and all that, I found/chose this video by randomly picking a show and a clip and this was it. Hail the illusion of randomness. We are all ONE.

Just decided to stick a second tune on the end of this clip to give viewers a fuller idea for what Robin's music is all about and for her friends to get a larger taste of our amiga in absentia.

Track 2 on this clip is "Eat My Flesh and Bury My Bones," another great Robin jamboree. I remember when she wrote this. It's pretty crazy when your friend is like, "Hey, I've got a new tune. Check it out," and it's "Eat My Flesh and Bury My Bones." Only Robin Lee.

A friend I was talking to about her yesterday said he has a feeling we haven't seen the last of her yet. Life is unpredictable. We will see.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 46 "Hey, What Gives?"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZdXNYN6mRk

So I realized when I started Operation 365, that I was going to have to write some tunes at some point because I don't believe I have 365 tunes. Now, I guess I could repeat myself but what fun would that be? I don't know.

Well, I busted out the banjo today and I've already done all the tunes I wrote that I play on banjo. So I picked up my banjo and started playing my tune "Killing's Wrong." After, I was inspired to try to write a tune in a few minutes and share it right away. It took me 15 minutes instead of four. But here it is, fresh off the brain, "Hey, What Gives?" That is the name and that question is directed to the leaders of our world, whoever they are. The song asks, can't we do better than this? Can't we try finding better ways to live instead new methods of genocide? It actually asks it a little less harshly than that, but that's pretty much the point.

I have been disturbed all week by the mad amounts of dead birds and fish popping up everywhere and what's being done to the sky is madness at best and I don't even wanna guess what at worst, cause that's not fun. NOTE: "Piastre" is an old word for money that I borrowed from "Dr. Wu" by Steely Dan. PEACE, DAMNIT!!!!!

BONUS to Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Outtakes - 46 "Killing's Wrong" on banjo, prelude to "Hey, What Gives?"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgMMb5kwO4M

We have bonuses to 365 today. First, as I was searching around for an original to play, I started with "Killing's Wrong". Today is a banjo day because my guitars are away and it lead me on an interesting adventure.

This is dedicated to all the people, birds and fishes that lost their lives this week in a bloody week in American history, Week One of 2011.

I was trying to decide what original tune to play today for Operation 365 and I played "Killing's Wrong" which led me on an odyssey culminating in the writing and recording of a new tune entitled, "Hey, What Gives?"

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Outtakes - 46 Today's Writing of "Hey, What Gives?"


Today I wrote this tune "Hey, What Gives?" This clip documents the process of me writing this tune in about 15 minutes.

NOTE: youtube doesn't think "chemtrails" and "geoengineering" are words. It should check out youtube...

No comments: