Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 35

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 41 "I Know You Rider" - Traditional
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS4exA0d8L0

Was hanging out with my buddies Wes Davis and Blowski today rocking out to Grateful Dead, something we don't so all too often, but I was digging it. In fact I think a little San Francisco love is in the air today. I am planning a tour with Wes right now called The California Songwriter's Showcase. This will be the third time I'm doing that tour and today we just booked a radio appearance on KPOO 89.5 in San Francisco for April 8th at 7PM. FUN! Now we just need a few more gigs to fill it in.

"I Know You Rider" is a traditional tune but it was a staple of the Dead's and I know it through them. Having studied the hippie era in San Francisco some as a history student, I dig this bonus verse that I found on the chords online.

Here's one for the old folks:

I'd rather drink muddy water, sleep in a hollow log
I'd rather drink muddy water, sleep in a hollow log
Then stay here in 'Frisco, be treated like a dog


Very interesting. It's a really good long story. In fact I wrote it. 180 pages. It sits in a file on my desktop. SDSU was not down so I wrote another thesis instead. Two for the price of four and I'm the one who's paying. It's all good. I'm glad I know what I know. Anybody wanna book on media's handling of the Haight-Ashbury hippies in 1967... Cause if you do, I'll cut you a great deal.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 41 "Remember That Day"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD8eWlGn8vA

My dear sweet friend Scott Baslaw is very funny. He lives in New York City so he complains a lot. Who wouldn't. It's winter and freezing. Anyway, He and I have been in a group called The Demarests for a very long time. We have three releases and have been writing songs together for many years, long before I started playing guitar. Today, he shoots me an email saying... "what I am chopped liver? now you only play Billy Joel covers? (paraphrased)"

The only of our tunes I have put up so far is Fricassee Junction
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiA0vEfR-W8

I have been trying to get him on Skype with the idea that we can record some jams from our collection together online, but for some insane reason, he fears Skype. So if you know Scott, tell him Skype is safe and he should get on it so we can put more songs up here together and you can see his pretty face.

In the meantime, I offer "Remember That Day" as an offering of my good intentions in this endeavor. "Remember That Day" is the first song I ever wrote, or I should say co-wrote with Scotty. Years later I learned the guitar part for this song of puppy love from long ago that Scotty would play and I would sing way back in the day.

There was also a very memorable live performance that we did on someone's steps in the bottoms of Arcata years later. Scotty and I have had many good times over the years. Maybe that Demarests tour will happen yet. We shall see.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 41 "Mary Anne" by Carlos Soriano - 9-28-2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3xKKSaWV3E

This is my buddy Carlos Soriano. Fer years he was the cover-playing, San Diego Casanova featured at many of my Open Mics. In recent months he's come into his own, rejecting the allure of a corporate paycheck in favor of writing original tunes and taking the world down at Texas Hold 'Em. I am very heartened by Senor Soriano's progress as an artist and his ability to keep it "very real" in his lyrics.

I'd love to say I can't relate to his frustration expressed in the lyrics of "Mary Anne," but I think I'll have to accept taking solace in that I'm nowhere near any Mary-Anns right now. God bless you Carlos Soriano and MAY GOD BLESS OCEAN BEACH!!!!... and everywhere else too please, of course...

No comments: