Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 57

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 63 Paul Lopez and The Soul Man - 7-30-2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oApsKJfTWX4

During one of many awesome Thursday nights at our old regular gig, The Soul Man, Paul Lopez, myself and many other friends would get together, throw down jams and have a good time. This was a unique time when at the request of an audience member, in between acts, Paul and Soul Man threw down an impromptu percussion jam and it was smokin'. Paul and Soul Man have been playing together for a long time, like 12 years, back to when Paul was a young man and Soul Man was only 80. Paul is an awesome conguero, who has played with a great Latin group called Aqua Dulce for years and The Soul Man rocks the guiro. There is only one Soul Man

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 63 "I Like It Like That" by Chris Kenner
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ls_ZTbTcYU

"I Like It Like That" is a really cool song from back in the day. I know it from a compilation tape I had ages ago featuring the best hits of 1961. I got the tape because I loved "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" by The Tokens, but this tune has found a way in to my head permanently. So this morning, it's in my head when time to record my song comes, and lo and behold, it's not that hard and then we got it done in one take.

I jammed "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" with my 3rd graders last week. It was fun. They had a whole cool dance worked out for it in P.E. So maybe that's how this ball got rolling. Big thanks to those 3rd graders. Not so much thanks to the super anal lady I was subbing for last week at that school, who still bothered to call me on Monday to complain more. If you're not part of the solution, lady, you're part of the problem. You must be so sick of hearing yourself complain all the time. I've heard enough of it for a lifetime and I only spoke to you like 3 times. Peace. Love and happiness is where it's at.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 62 "Spreadin' The Word" - Live at The Whisky A-Go Go - 2-1-2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peO6b770yfM

This is "Spreadin' The Word," recorded live by The Jefferson Jay Band at the historic Whisky A Go-Go on the Sunset Strip in Los Angeles on February 1, 2007. "Spreadin' The Word" was a tune my band did a whole bunch back in the day. It is jazzy and progressive and appears on my CD "Red" available now at www.jeffersonjay.com. It is about making a positive difference in the world and not being shy about saying so. The Beatles said, "Have you heard the word is love?" If so, than so be it. Hail love!

I don't know how this tune would translate acoustically so it's another good reason to continue posting clips from our show years ago at The legendary Whisky A-Go Go. The Jefferson Jay Band as it was in this video featured Damon Stoll on bass, Johnny Avelar on drums and The Soul Man on guiro. Today we play on the street corner at the Farmer's Market here in Ocean Beach. The band will be myself, The Soul Man and Paul Ruiz on trumpet. People come and go through out lives. YOu never know who will stay or go. I am glad I still get to be inspired by The Soul Man and his thirst and zest for music, the groove, and life

No comments: