Friday, January 21, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 52

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 58 "What Makes You Feel Good"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gkbspo5rQk

Came home from school today a little energized. Excited for the weekend. Been a long, rough last few days but I am feeling rejuvenated. Been making strides booking an April California tour and worked a couple days to boot, today, with 3rd graders at Green Elementary School. Was a 3rd gradish couple days, so today at the end of the day I decided to break out my Songwriting lesson on 'em. I have designed a one-of-a-kind (as far as I know) songwriting lesson so I can make any group of people into songwriters in a matter of minutes. Seriously.

Today I flexed this skill of mine, educating 8 and 9-year olds and we conjured "What Makes You Feel Good," a song about exactly what it says it is about. I was excited when I got home so I played it. See below for more... or see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfdQVTvAn2c

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Outtakes - 58 What Makes "What Makes You Feel Good" Feel Good
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfdQVTvAn2c

I was so excited when I got home about being home and this new tune and all that I fired up the comp and got recording right away... well, as soon as I'd let Angel out. So this clip is me discussing what happened and how the tune became a tune a little and playing a first version of it where you can hear the song still developing.... and then the 2nd and perhaps final version of this tune ever. We will see.

I also video recorded a version in the classroom. I made the kids stay off camera. I didn't know I'd be doing this now so I wanted to have a version recorded. I may put that as another outtake. I haven't decided yet. I wonder if that is sketchy.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 58 Richard Romero's Compass - 11-12-2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK_JEoS-vUI

This was a really cool jam by Richard Romero's Compass from 11-12-2009. Richard is a 70s throwback in a very positive way. We are friends. He channels John McLaughlin (his favorite), Crosby, Stills and Nash and many others. The Richard Romero is prone to longform jams and harmonizing with himself. He is a master of many pedals, the types of pedals most people simply don't understand. If you see him brandishing a pallet, slowly step away from the Richard Romero. Please forgive that digression. I fear someone put something in my drink. Richard also plays bass in The Jefferson Jay Band and is a regular at many of my weekly shows including my new Monday night Open Mic at The Turquoise in La Jolla. Richard plays there at 7PM.

This set features Richard on guitar and vocals with Soul Man on guiro, Paul Lopez on congas, Paul Ruiz on trumpet, Carlos on bass, and Serge on drums. Please forgive me Carlos and Serge. If you see guys this and get in touch with me, I'll put your full names in. Hail Richard.

I let the clip run really long cause that's just the Richard Romero way. More is more.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 58 Zany Phish Medley by Phish, arr. by JJ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAi1IstDMgs

This is a little Phish medley I threw together a little while back. I jammed it with Philly B a couple times. Otherwise, it's just been sitting waiting for a rainy day. Well, today it's sunny.
70 in San Diego on January 21st. It has chunks of "Harpua," "Gumbo," "N.I.C.U.," and "The Squirming Coil," 4 somewhat obscure Phish tunes I've always enjoyed.

I was a huge Phishead back in the day. I've seen them over 70 times going back to the early 90s. Had some cool run-ins with Trey here and again. I'm glad they're back on the road playing great music, presumable healthier. God bless 'em. I guess the modern word for medley is mash-up. I should probably call it that. It would sound cooler.

No comments: