Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 56

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 62 Cafe Moliendo - 7-30-2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjAC0QYmDuY

Cafe Moliendo is a San Diego-based cumbia band. They are led by singer Olga Cortes and violinist/pianist Misha Borisovsky. Here they are joined by several talented musicians including Paul Ruiz on trumpet, Soul Man on guiro, Paul Lopez on congas, Geo on quattro, Marco on saxophone and several others whose names should be listed here but aren't. I met those folks through my pal Don Truesdail who at one point played bass for Cafe Moliendo. I was happy to do some shows with this crew including one at The Belly Up Tavern. I hope they're doing well right now. I wish them good fortune. I believe Misha and Olga are playing with another band now as well. Last time I saw them, they were playing at a party clad in some very interesting costumes.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 62 "Gotta Serve Somebody" by Bob Dylan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNSbTYkC2Os

"Copyright music and lyrics reproduced by kind permission of Special Rider -- for original, exclusive performances by Bob Dylan, check-out the official channel at www.youtube.com/bobdylan."

Yeah, that's right. Bob Dylan (well, his people) said I could use his songs whenever I want as long as I post that little note there first. No sweat. Thanks for asking. Appreciate the attention, I do. Nopt much to ask. Thanks for those cool tunes. Bob, if you're reading this,I read on the interent you were caught sniffing around Bruce Springsteen's childhood house and that you were also checking out John Lennon and Neil Young's old digs too. Well, of course who knows if that's true. It is the internet. But if is, I wonder what you're looking for. Inspiration. Is it a study? An experiment? I don't know, but if you ARE looking for something, I suggest you come right here to my zone in Ocean Beach, San Diego and hang out with me and my friends. There is buttloads of inspiration everywhere. I think you'd like it and it'd be really cool to talk. I'm not The Beatles, but they wouldn't be either if you never went and talked with 'em so give it a thought. Drop me an email at jefferson@jeffersonjay.com if youwanna schmooze. Thanks for letting me use your tunes. Love, Jefferson


Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 62 "Anytime At All" - Live at The Whisky A-Go Go - 2-1-2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lvp5aBpn5sc

Wasn't smoothly breezing through my originals today so I am dipping into the Archives to resurrect one. This is "Any Time At All," recorded live by The Jefferson Jay Band at the historic Whisky A Go-Go on the Sunset Strip in Los Angeles on February 1, 2007. I would like to thank Ray Peterssen, whose contributions back in '07 made this video possible. It was a dream to play the Whisky. Definitely scratched off my list after this gig. I used to love this tune when it was new. I wrote it in '06 right after we opened for Steely Dan in Irvine, CA. I was very inspired. I never play it these days.

The Jefferson Jay Band as it was in this video featured Damon Stoll on bass, Johnny Avelar on drums and The Soul Man on guiro. The more things change the more they stay the same. I don't even know what that means in this context. I'll be sure to give it some serious thought.

I think these are a little lower "fi" than most of my videos and it doesn't have my little credits at the end, but it's the Whisky A-Go Go and I'm tired. It's going to have to do-do.

No comments: