Friday, January 28, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 59

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 65 "Statistical Muffin Tiki"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt4PIwFycmw

When I teach songwriting, one of the first things I tell the students is that there's all kinds of songs and that they should resist the urge to judge their songs while they are in the process of writing them. Amateur songwriters do this all the time. They dissuade themselves from writing a tune by saying it's bad before it's even done yet. I encourage them to leave the role of songwriting to the critics. It's their job.

So last night it was about time to go to bed. I asked Leanne, my girlfriend if she wanted to play a game. She said yes. Then I started writing letters on a blank page. "G... C... D." Leanne then clarified that she did not want to write a song. I accused her of jumping to conclusions. I argued that all I had done was write a few letters on a page. Then I asked her for words and began filling them into the spaces under the letters on the formerly blank page. I only added two words myself, "flow" and "melancholy." The rest, she devised. So I played the song once and then we went to bed... and here it is today on 365 as she and I are about to embark on an adventure.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 65 "The Gambler" by Kenny Rogers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwGx7v6TbYQ

Who doesn't love "The Gambler?" There's a lot of wisdom in that jam. I think I may have utilized some of that wisdom by passing on going to Frank's annual big poker tournament yesterday. Just wasn't feeling it. Instead, I enjoyed quality time with my special lady and an opportunity to record a bunch of covers for the next few days of whoosiewhatsis. That's a word I like to use sometimes, "whoosiewhatsis" It means "whatever" or "anything specific" Anyway, this tune rules and I practiced it some more and I hope did a stand-up version.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 65 "The Red Season" - Live at The Whisky A-Go Go - 2-1-2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c9ZfcLp-9A

I am continuing to post the rest of the clips of The Jefferson Jay Band live at The Whisky A-Go Go on February 1, 2007. This track is called "The Red Season" and it was our opener on this special event at The Whisky. "The Red Season" appears on my "Red" CD, which can be enjoyed at jeffersonjay.bandcamp.com

The Jefferson Jay Band as it was in this video featured Damon Stoll on bass, Johnny Avelar on drums and The Soul Man on guiro. Playing the Whisky was a dream I had for years. Between that and catching a ball at a baseball game, which I did, I'm not really sure what's left. I guess, more of the same. Hallelujah!

No comments: