Sunday, January 16, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 47

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 53 "Ralph Ralph"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vEv8Cd32PM

"Ralph Ralph" is a cool tune of my "Red" CD (available mow at www.jeffersonjay.com). I just realized I forgot to write in the little credits that this tune was co-written by bassist extraordinairre Damon Stoll. Sorry Funky. Damon was known as "Funky D" during his 5 year stay in The Jefferson Jay Band. He now lives in Arizona. "Ralph Ralph" is the story of a loner kid and his oddities. It was loosely based on Damon's cousin Ralph. The tune's not quite the same without Damon's powerful percussive pounding on the 6-string bass, but we do what we can. Hope you dig. Peace to you Damon.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 53 "Some Velvet Morning" by Lee Hazelwood and Nancy Sinatra
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWDnz5yF11A

Years ago, I was looking for a fun duet to do. My research led me to "Some Velvet Morning," seated atop some list of the greatest duets of all time. Excited, I downloaded it, learned it and fell in love with it only to learn that my prospective duet partner thought the tune was lame and refused to do it. That is kinda the way she was so I couldn't be too surprised although I was a bit disappointed.

It's a new day today and anything can happen. There are no limits and truth is expressly what we decide it is. I have a new duet partner in waiting and we are going to do it soon. Consider this my little reacquainting with how this really cool song goes. In this version, both parts of the duet will be played by... me.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 53 Chimney Fish with The Soul Man - "Gunshots" - 12-6-2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZUkpa6I58s

Chimney Fish are the missing piece in the puzzle of 365. I have shared a lot of footage of a lot of my friends in the first 50+ days of Operation 365. Chimney Fish are a young band that came along just as things were hitting their stride on our scene a couple years back. They were in the perfect place at the perfect time as far as our little scene goes. Almost instantly they were a big part of my slate of of programs and before long they were playing at the end of my jam-packed showcases every Thursday night.

Chimney Fish broke up in 2010. Chimney Fish were Singer/songwriter/guitarist - Brett Walling, Guitarist - Jeff Shaefer, Drummer - Andy Davis and Bass - Luke Oskam. The Soul Man was an honorary member. 70 years older than each other band member, The Soul Man fit right in with them on stage. That's just how things were in those days. I sat in with them quite a bit in those days and it was much much fun.

No comments: