Friday, January 14, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 45

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 51 "June"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTYB8nJw3iI

I co-wrote this number with my pal Paul Ruiz. He wrote/said most of the lyrics and you can hear some of his colloquialisms thrown in. I have been in and out of month-titled songwriting binge, so I was happy to add "June" to the team. "June," if played live ever would probably be a little tacked on intro to my song "April." They are both months songs with double meanings and they are musically compatible as well. The other "June" besides the month here is Beaver's mom, June Cleaver, of course.

The last line in this song is "and we're moving." Interestingly, I am going up to Merced this weekend to sit in with my pal Destructo Bunny at his show up there and then help him move his stuff back to San Diego.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 51 "Heart of Glass" by Blondie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJzZx5_DkLw

I have always liked this tune. I realized I haven't done too many songs made famous by women so it seemed like time to go for it. What a cool tune! I heard someone on the radio the other day that Blondie (Deborah Harry) invented rap with her little rant in her tune "Rapture." I don't know if that's true but I'd wondered it before myself. I did a little research, always a good idea and learned quickly that zillions of acts predate Blondie in the rap world. Now that I think about it, rapping is talking rhythmically over music. How can someone invent something like that? I guess they helped make it OK for whites to do it. Gosh, I'm glad I didn't almost admit I half-thought something so stupid. Whew. That was close.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 51 Mary Dolan - 12-6-2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbARvk9lPW4

It took me WAYYY too long to get Mary Dolan on my Operation 365. She has been at the top of my mind for quite some time and finally, today's the day. Mary Dolan has been signed to a record label and toured extensively making her one of the most accomplished musicians in our little circle back then by far. You would never have known it though by the way she treated everybody she dealt with. She was always humble, supportive, kind and provided a great example to how one should carry one's self to all the folks who hung out back in the day.

Here she is playing her "67 Miles Away From Getting Laid" song at my "12 Hours of Free Music" show on December 6, 2008. I'm not sure if that's the exact title. I always liked this one. This version, she dedicated to Amanda, Destructo Bunny's fiancee, which I think is funny. I miss Mary. She is a busy family woman now and we don't get to cross paths as much as I'd like, but we bonded big time back then. I've got nothing but huge love for her and her family and hope we get to catch up real soon. Hail Mary!

This clip was filmed by Dyan Avery.

NOTE: I learned yesterday you're not supposed to double space after sentences. So I'm trying not to do it anymore as of today. Thank you.

NOTE: Is it me or is it easier to read if there's two spaces? It's probably me.

No comments: