Sunday, January 30, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 61

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 67 "Undecided"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zpq4Tw3my9Y

"Undecided" is a tune I wrote a long time ago that I never play. I'm not sure it's been played live even one. Ages ago, I was engaged. I never would up getting married. Well, one day, back then, out of the woodwork, crept an ex-girlfriend of mine and not just any old ex, but a gorgeous one who I liked quite a bit many years befo re. She was bring the full-court press this ex-girlfriend, talking about marriage and trying to swipe me away. I didn't go for it, but it did a little number on my mind and I wrote this song to help me sort it all out.

Another interesting about this number is I wrote it trying to write a song in 5/4 time, just to see if I could do it. A friend I had at the time, Simeon Flick, had just written a tune in 5 and I wanted to give it a try myself. Honestly, I don't even know to this day if the tune is 5. I can say there are 5 chords in the main progression...

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 67 "One More Minute" by Weird Al Yankovic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYhk17EPKdU

Bet ya didn't know Weird Al wrote original songs, did ya? Yeah, he does and they're often funny and good. Not that I've kept up with what Weird Al has done these last several years. I don't even know the tunes that Weird Al covers anymore.

"One More Minute" is a classic Al jam from long ago. Read nothing into all these tormented relationship songs I'm posting today. I am happy as a clam in the desert. Perhaps that analogy sucks, but I really am in the desert and I really do like clams.

TAGS: Jefferson Jay, one more minute, break up, Weird Al, weird al yankovic, original song

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 67 "Cage" - Live at The Whisky A-Go Go - 2-1-2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne17zuxmhyI

Operation 365 has been posting clips of The Jefferson Jay Band live at The Whisky A-Go Go on February 1, 2007. This track is called "Cage" and it is cute. The chords are C-Am-G-E. Cute, huh? "Cage" appears on my "Blue; A Kid's Album" CD, which can be enjoyed at jeffersonjay.bandcamp.com

The Jefferson Jay Band as it was in this video featured Damon Stoll on bass, Johnny Avelar on drums and The Soul Man on guiro. Playing the Whisky was a dream I had for years and it was a terrifically fun time.

No comments: