Thursday, January 6, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 37

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 43 "Dalai Lama..." with Paul Ruiz on trumpet - 8-31-2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU-irItdjR0

The original name for this song was Dalai Lama, Cadillac and Rivers on the Radio. It is supposed to symbolize parts of what you might experience (on the the radio/CD player in part) if you took to the open road. I would like to be touring more and playing more gigs more different places. San Diego is basically a ghost town for music so if you want to do something professionally you simply need to leave town to get it done. It's not that I want to live anywhere else. I just want to work somewhere where I can paid to do what I do.

Anyway, this song was born out of that wanderlust that I was feeling at the start of my Summer Songburst this past August. This was one of the first tunes in that period of inspiration and I like it. I shortened the name to "Dalai Lama...' cause it's shorter.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 43 Destructo Bunny - Ocean Beach Road Show #2 - 3-28-10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KU5CD3UXF54

The Ocean Beach Road Show is a concept I came up with with Wes Davis to make a show that shows them many different colors and sounds of our community here in Ocean Beach, San Diego. This is the second Ocean Beach Road Show, held on March 28, 2010.

Although there were lots of fine artists that played that night, I was feeling like going with more Destructo Bunny. Like I said last time I posted my friend, The Rabbit. He is a force of nature. His words pack force and power and when he is on he can speak directly to the revolutionary deep within each of us, the purity deep inside us that wants everybody treat everybody else right. The part of us that wants to join together and rise.

I love DB because like me he is an idealist and an optimist and like me, he has in no way shape or form given up yet on the hope that we can make a major positive difference in this world despite all evidence to the contrary. The Bunny freestyles. I've brought friends in from out of town who are big hip-hop fans and they refuse to believe what they see when blasts out rhymes extemporaneously. To me, it would be just as astounding if he memorized it all, but he's wingin' it in the great tradition of American improvisation that goes back decades. Keep preaching DB. I will see you in Merced next week.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 43 "Pecan Pie" by Jeff Tweedy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txUAbXHEqD8

I know this tune from I band I was in back in the late 90's called Elin Tea. The band was named after our friend Kirsten's baby daughter. I think she's like a teenager now. Well, this band was a three-piece acoustic group and we had many tunes, like 50 originals and a number of covers including Grand Funk Railroad's "I'm Your Captain, and jams by U2, The Bad Livers, Pavement and this jam, written by Jeff Tweedy of Wilco for his side project Golden Smog.

I would have to say that this tune had a pretty big influence on me although there was no way of knowing that at the time. First, my music, due to many factors, has gone more in this direction over time and secondly, Golden Smog's second CD "Weird Tales," I grew to love lots and lots. "Pecan Pie was on their first CD, "Tales From The Mainstream." So shout outs to my old Elin Tea bandmates and anyone else who likes this song about chow.

No comments: