Friday, May 13, 2016

Operation 365 2... Blog 141

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay – Covers - 141 “Scarborough Fair” by Simon and Garfunkel


Hello and Hooray. Another glorious day. Feeling full of life and love after another five days of fun in the California sun. TGIF though, and I’m not the kind of guy who says things like TGIF. I like TGIA better. Thank God I’m alive and you can say that any day. It’s fine

Many moons ago I was a freshman and The University of Massachusetts and CDs were a big new thing. My mom sent me a special package, which included a nice note on the CD, “Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme. It was a very meaningful gift to me and I’m glad I found my way to playing this song after all this time. I seem to be developing a snazzy, stylish way of covering Simon and Garfunkel tunes, as this seems to be a sibling of my “The Sounds of Silence” cover from a month or so ago. Hallelujah. I love you. Charlotte James on “That sounds good.”

Operation  365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 141 “The Tony Gwynn Blues” by Jefferson Jay

I’ve been meaning to get to this one. I even tried it yesterday, but it went horribly awry. Today, we actually honor Number 19, unlike my awkward almost offering yesterday.

A few days ago would have been San Diego icon Tony Gwynn’s birthday. He passed away a few years back. He was from here, starred in football and baseball at San Diego State. Then Tony was the best thing ever about the San Diego Padres by a lot for 20 years. He was a first ballot Hall of Famer and then coached the San Diego State Aztecs baseball team, which played in Tony Gwynn Stadium, until his tragic death of mouth cancer a couple years back. Damn tobacco.

I had love for Tony even as a boy back in New Jersey. I remember he first came up in 1982 and his 1983 Topps rookie card was a personal favorite. So, I wrote this blues tune the day Tony Gwynn died and he is still hugely missed in San Diego. Peace Tony.

Operation  365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 141 “The Guide to A Good Life”


Here’s some helpful hints. I even broke it down in the end to four simple steps. Enjoy, learn, and love “The Guide to A Good Life.”

No comments: