Monday, May 23, 2016

Operation 365 2... Blog 151

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Covers – 151 “Over the Rainbow” by Harold Arlen and E.Y. Harburg

It's a pretty enormo day on the 365. Thanks to the Padres latest guffaw, my video upbraiding them has over 4200 views on Facebook since yesterday and, let's check, 66 views on YouTube. I will also be appearing on The Scott and BR Radio Show on the Mighty 1090, 1090AM in San Diego and www.mighty1090.com around 5PM PST probably.

You see, I'm just a wee bit of an expert on Padres malfunction and the National Anthem as I was scheduled to sing it on September 3, 2013 and I stood there and they played a recording of someone singing it and like The San Diego Gay Men's Chorus, I had to stand there and pretend it was normal. Fortunately for me, the voice that played for the thousands in attendance was my own and not a random lady, but still singers sing. I don't know exactly who pretends to sing. Actors, maybe. Lip sync contest participants? The Pads mess everything up 'cause they're clueless and unprofessional. This was, yet again, proof.

In case you still don't know what I'm, talking about, Saturday night, The Padres invited The San Diego Gay Men's Chorus to "sing" the National Anthem at "Gay Day" (not the official title) at Petco Park. They, then humiliated their guests by playing a recording of lady singing it through to the end, with no clarification or announced apology. Thats' really the short version of the story. The Padres are a dumpster fire.

In case you missed it, here, again, is a link to the tune I yanked out of thin air yesterday as a response the the Padres' latest unimaginable mistake.



So, I was thinking what, nice, can I do for gay folks to help 'em bounce back from this baseball bummer? I did what folks do when they're wondering something these days and I searched Google for "gay songs." I thought maybe I'd cover one. Obviously there is no such thing as a gay song, but I figured I'd dive in and discover. Why not? #1 on the Top 50 list I found was "I Will Survive."

http://www.timeout.com/newyork/music/ultimate-pride-playlist-50-best-gay-songs#tab_panel_5

Would have been appropriate but we already did that here in Op365 2 so that's out. Then "Freedom! '90" was #2. I don't think I even know that tune, so no dice there. Number 3, fortunately, I'd played some lately, so "Over the Rainbow" it is. I'm not so sure how that song, or even, rainbow for that matter are really gay, but who cares, since we're all one anyway. Enjoy rainbow lovers, Wizard of Oz heads, and anyone who likes IZ, cause he arranged this version with a little bit of What a Wonderful World in there for funsies and good measure.

Now I gotta run. Talk later. Lunch time with my friend, who may or may not happen to be gay.

Wait, one last thing before I go. I would like to dedicate this number to a great friend of mine who has found peace and love in island life, much like IZ, the fella who arranged this piece for ukelele. Congratulations to Petey, and my future friend, her new fiancee David. We, here on the continent, are all so happy for you and your love. An island love song for some true island lovers. It doesn't get more romantic that that. We salute you.

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - BONUS – 151 “One Step Away” 


I am literally, well, more figuratively, “One Step Away” from going to dinner now. It's been a long and exciting Monday. Went on the radio with Scott and BR. More on that in a sec.

I just realized I posted this tune yesterday. That means another video is needed. May as well leave this too. Why not? More steps to come.

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Words – 151 “ JJ's Message to the 'Dres"


Yesterday, I wrote a song. "Don't Make Fun of The San Diego Gay Men's Chorus." It has somehow been seen about 5000 times on Facebook and a whole bunch more on YouTube. How neat. I went on the Scott and BR Radio Show on The Mighty 1090AM and debuted the tune. It was amazing.

This is the rant chunk on the end of the full "Don't Make Fun of The San Diego Gay Men's Chorus" video. That can be viewed here. I thought it deserved it's own zone. Come on, Padres!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAPldf7rTFQ

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Originals – 151 “Here to Help"


That's basically what it all comes down to, isn't it? Either we're part of the solution or we're part of the problem. I'm one of those "love brothers" Scott Kaplan mentioned on The Mighty 1090 today. So whether it's The San Diego Gay Men's Chorus or you right now, I'm all about it. Even for the Padres. Or the WWE. I'm “Here to Help." Like we all should be, honestly.

No comments: