Friday, May 20, 2016

Operation 365 2... Blog 148

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Words - 148 “Outside Licks”


So it was jam time today. Time to play a couple jams before our gig at Mother’s. Even picked out today’s cover, “All Along the Watchtower.” Then, this happened. A symphony of lawn machines all cranked up at once. Weed whackers. Large lawn mowers. All of ‘em. So we used some good old fashioned American ingenuity and went with the vibe. Dan and I stepped outside and got busy. Jamming with the sounds of what’s around us.

Large fun. These licks are outside, like jazz licks. Cheers to Dan Porter for getting his mow on. Ornette and Thelonious would be proud of these “Outside Licks” I like to think. Thanks to time for speeding up and slowing when that’s what we most need.

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Covers – 148 “America” by Neil Diamond

So next I thought, what might sound amazing with a million lawn mowers and a fan blaring their sweet sonic affection. “America!” Of course. Eureka. Excelsior.

So I got into it, cause that’s what you do when you play a Neil Diamond tune. You strap on your patriotism and let her fly in the explosion-filled skies on the Fourth of July. Or something like that. Independence and such…

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 148 “Your Mom’s So Incredibly Cool”

So I was feeling a little giddy. It’s been a fun day. We jammed out with the lawn mowers. Got a gig tonight. Excited to play at Mother’s this evening. It’s always a good time. Then I started thinking about moms. And then I thought about your mom.


Well, not your mom exactly but the mom of my future unborn offspring. I started picturing her in all sorts of pajamas. She’ll be home soon. We have a gig tonight. She pounds the drums. So to you, yet-to-be conceived, (dare I name you), Cletus the Future Fetus, “Your Mom’s Incredibly Cool.” Well played unborn, well played.

OK. Confession. This song is not based on actual events. It is a fictional song from the perspective of a guy who lives near here and hooks up with the moms who take their kids to Richard A. Milf Park, which is only a few blocks from here, actually. I feel better now. It’s no more me than “Hey Joe” is Hendrix and “Down by the River” is actually Neil Young. At least in my song, nobody gets shot. In fact, it’s a love song, technically.

I'm not sure this song is OK. I hope it is. It’s a joke… Gotta joke… right???

Apologies for the fan noise and schpittle.

No comments: