Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Operation 365 2... Blog 145

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Words - 145 “You Should Finish That Song”


I’m surprising myself all of a sudden here on today’s 365. I thought I had a plan all worked out and now due to a surprisingly catchy song slated for the “Words” segment, I’m switching things around some.

So earlier today, I was eagerly awaiting my special needs adults in a room with my guitar. Occasionally, I fill these moments, sketching out new tunes or hacking away at some videos and today was no exception. I stumbled on to a chunk a tune that was decent so I even ran it back a few times, before pushing it as far as I intended to for the time being. It was at this time that the folks were heading on in and I was shifting in the direction of our regularly scheduled program.

I was then caught off-guard in a wonderful way with some nice words from a colleague on how neat she thought that tune was. She didn’t even know it was mine and I hadn’t even finished writing it yet. So I’d intended to use it as today’s “Original” but with it being only a fragment, me wanting more reason to return to it, and the fact that I conjured two other interesting originals this afternoon, this video, with the kind sentiments attached, is today’s “Words.”

Hopefully, before too long, this jam will be rocking in the “Originals” club too.

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay – BONUS - 145 “This Land Is Your Land” by Woody Guthrie

Covers are getting harder to pick as I get over 500 different ones between the two 365s. Sometimes, I slip and do one twice. Today this happened again, I played “This Land Is Your Land” some time in the middle of the first 365 (Thanksgiving 2010-Thanksgiving 2011). I remember playing the tune some time since then and realizing it had all these awesome amazing words I’d never known about. That made me think I’d never played it. But I checked, like I do, and I did.

So here it is anyway, with all Woody’s all insurrectionary words from back in the day.

Oh, and this post would be incomplete without a re-affirming of my love for Bernie Sanders who is actually giving songs like this a meaning in our modern world. Feel the Bern.

“It ain’t over ‘til it’s over.” – Yankee great Yogi Berra

“It’s never over” – Green Beret John Rambo

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay – Covers - 145 “Darling Angel” by Rebel Souljahs

So then I played some other cover and even though it was just a short while ago now, I have little if any idea which one it was. Maybe that’s a sign you’re working (or 365ing) too much. Nahhhh!!!! Think deep, young warrior. Think probingly back into the last 20 minutes. You can do this! If not I have to wait 12 minutes while the video loads from the GoPro. Doh! Hmmmm….I played a song…. It was called…. A man sung it? Hmmm… A woman…????? Doh! Patience. No thanks. I got an idea.

Yeah!!!!! I remembered. It is a song I’d never heard before this morning. “Darling Angel” was suggested to me by a friend at work. Before I knew it he and another co-worker were singing along with my version. How cool. Shout-outs to my eternal pooch Angel, who of course, this makes me think of. Of course, I only think wonderful loving thoughts, We had an incredible fifteen and a half years. Cheers to colleagues for educating me and sharing the wise good vibe.

I did a "normal-er" version and it was fine but I am having fun with movie magic and went with this one. With any demand whatsoever from fans of this tune, I would be happy to release the "real-er" one as well. Nanoo Nanoo.

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Originals – 145 “The Hillside” by Jefferson Jay

So I was about to finish the video recording portion of today's 365 work. (That immediately predates the uploading, transferring, editing, bouncing, blogging, posting, and social media portions of a day's 365 work, for those keeping score at home.) All I needed to do was a "Words" chunk. Unfortunately nothing inordinately witty was at the top of my head at the time, so I did what all songwriters do in their moments of need. I launched into song.

That's when things got a nipple surprising. I just wanted to check to see if nipple could be used in this context, to mean a small amount of something. While I didn't get great news on that tip, I was pleasantly surprised to see a black woman's beautiful boob on the the internet dictionary. That was an unexpected treat. I wonder if there's a male nipple in the vaginictionary. Wow, we've ridden off the rails. Well, at least I think you can clearly see while I wasn't trying to say anything funny. 

Instead, I pulled this interesting tune from my sub-conscious about many of the different scenarios that can lead to one needing to be sent to the hillside. Presumable, this fictional hillside is place for reflection and healing and rejuvenation where can go and be rest assured that they will be returned to bearing the faculties of a reasonable person or persons post-haste. While the American dream may be peril, thankfully, dreaming in America is alive and well. Folks, step away from the dictionary.

No comments: