Monday, August 1, 2016

Operation 365 2... Blog 221

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Words - 221 "It's a Pivotal Time"


While some days call for a fastball, other days just beg for a change up. Today is one of those days for me so I listened to my system and obliged. So now I'm sitting here at the beach, something I should do far more often, and typing this note to you on my iPad in the sun. Ahhhh... Soothing. I can even take my shirt off now that I'm done filming videos. Adjustments are the name of the game. In baseball... All the games really. 

Today was the trading deadline in Major League Baseball. The buyers bought and the sellers sold. The pretenders stepped aside, opting to try again another year. Meanwhile the contenders re-armed in earnest. pursuing excellence, in the form of a World Championship. My Yankees traded their most valuable chips, for the most part. Our hometown Padres sent away everyone they had, even reminiscent of a major league ballplayer as seemingly, only they can. See us next year. One can hope. For now, embrace adjustments. Occasionally, it's the only way.

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 221 ".221" by Jefferson Jay

For those of you keeping score at home, we’ll call this video and the preceding video our “Sports Song of the Week.” That’s three Mondays in a row of those, I believe. “.221” is a “classic” sports song, one from the vault, if you will.

A few years ago, our hometown San Diego Padres, were at a similarly feeble juncture in their pathetic history. At that point the entire team was hitting .221. That means they get hits 22.1% of the time. If you don't know baseball, that's historically bad, a dumpster fire by even the 'Dres inauspicious norms.

So I wrote this little song about them and took it live to the airwaves on local signal, The Mighty 1090AM, and the fine radio show of my great friends, Scott Kaplan and former San Diego Charger, Billy Ray Smith. Their show is called “The Scott and BR Radio Show. It's on from 3-6 PST or on www.mighty1090.com or on the Tune In app.

This little ditty led to a fruitful and ongoing run for me as a recurring guest on their show. Sadly, the Padres are too sad to even sing funny songs about now, so I haven’t gone on very much lately. Football season is coming. To more singing then, I say. The Padres are a muse in the same way as anything tragic. At least it's only baseball they're blowing and not something truly important. Maybe I should write a song about the election, Maybe not. "Dumpster Fire?"

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 221 "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic" by The Police

Yesterday, I had a little idea that it might be fun to try to do a lounge- influenced swinging version of “Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic” by the Police. Magic has been very good to me. I liked tricks and magicians since I was a kid. I remember going to see a magic show with my Grandma once. I also had a magician at my birthday party at Ness Pizza once. I think he balanced a table on his chin and it led to them not having birthday parties there for many years, at least.

My wife used magic to appeal to me when we first met. She said I “needed more magic” in my life and presto, I'm married. Nice trick, right?  So I thought I'd give it a go. I’ve been writing a series of snow-forest-set Christmas musicals. The Magic Snowwoman is one of my principal characters so I've been feeling the magic lately. So. I went for it. Here it is. I did a few versions, but I'll probably post the swingingest one, even though the normalest one was kind of nice too, in a different way.


It went with my other sort of swinging ".221" tune for today. I liked the music for that tune so one day, I wrote new words for it about love and how once you fall in love, you already "Too Far Gone." I'll explain more tomorrow. Until then, enjoy today. It's really all we've got. That and love. Thanks for your time and attention. I appreciate it.

No comments: