Monday, August 22, 2016

Operation 365 2... Blog 242

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Originals – 242 “Finally Found” by Jefferson Jay


I love Mondays. Have for some time. Not sure how far back it goes, but until at least 1996. Back then, I lived in Arcata. I was an undergraduate at Humboldt State University. Every Monday night, I would go to this bar that had live jazz. Sam Maez Jazz it was called. I was one of the only people there usually. I would sit, often by myself and I would write in my notebook and learn about jazz and how to act professionally. Sam and his band always brought their best effort, no matter who or how many people attended. Over the next few years, my little Monday secret, got let out of the bag. Now, lots of folks would come out for jazz night. I had developed friendships with San and the other fellows who would join him. It was profoundly meaningful to me. I miss Monday night jazz and I miss Sam and the guys. 

Now, I live in San Diego. We have band practices most Monday nights. "Finally Found" is a song I made up the other day. It may not be totally done. Maybe you will finish it and make it your own. I don't know. Maybe I will finish it too. I remember it had some potential. I love life. I am very happy and humble to be participating in it. I hope to give back as much as I can in this life. I'd love to share my perspective and help folks gain the appreciation I have. I'd like to help people realize that being kind and considerate and helpful will make you happy and that happiness will carry you far further than gathering possessions and accolades at the expense of others.  We are best when we lift each other up. 

Acceptance is an essential ingredient in love. Love patience, nurturing and understanding. Berating someone into doing the right thing never works. Teach a man to fish or teach a man to be a vegan or a gun-user or whatever, and you give them the tools to success and survival. Berate them, judge them, you only teach them to berate and judge. Every day is a chance to learn to love and grow. We deserve it. 

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay – Covers - 242 “Paint It Black” by The Rolling Stones

My first recollections of “Paint It Black” are not even of “Paint It Black." I was exposed to Howard Stern at a very young age. Well before the age of ten. The first time I heard “Paint It Black,” was a parody Howard's guys wrote about racist comment made by CBS football talking head Jimmy the Greek. It was classic. "The white is lazy," Jimmy's voice repeated as the song faded out. There was another one back then, written from the perspective of Regis Philbin's quadriplegic son. Pretty harsh and formatively affected my sense of humor perhaps. 

Speaking of harsh, ever heard they lyrics to the Stone's tunes "Sweet Black Angel," or "Brown Sugar?" Whoa, doubting that would fly now. I went to a Padres game a few years back on Black History night at the ball park or whatever it was and they played "Brown Sugar" between innings. Ahhh... Only the Padres... not good at much. Not even close, really. 

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Words - 242 “Developing a Theme”

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Words - 242 "The Theme to The Sports Song of the Week"

In life some times, even great intentions won't tell us the best use of our time. So we wonder. Like Ralph Kramden and Ed Norton, Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble, and countless other fictional duos who sought a solution to the riddle that is: Financial independence. 

One of my co-horts is an enterprising and talented gentleman named Wes Davis. I celebrated his anniversary on the 365 yesterday and the birth of his first child near this project's inception.One day, weeks ago, we chilled. As per the norm, Wes had a million amazing ideas on what we should all be doing with our lives. It is so hard to know which ones to work on.  I can testify. We signed a million dollar contract that day, to work on a sports podcast, starring me, produced by him. 

He went back East for his Ukrainian second wedding after that and I picked up the ball and ran with it and for the last five weeks. Every Monday since then I have posted a "Sports Song of the Week." A few were brand new, other recycled classics from my appearances on The Scott and BR Radio Show on themighty1090.com and 1090AM in San Diego, 3-6 PST. Today, I explore another area of development our future podcast requires, a catchy theme song. Allow me to create in your space as I find my way to the what may some day be "The Theme to The Sports Song of the Week Podcast" God bless.

I chopped out most of the "developing" stuff and left just the kernel of the idea that I got to. Maybe I should change the name of this video. I will. I did. It's now called "The Theme to The Sports Song of the Week" and it is "The Sports Song of the Week," six in a row, for those keeping score at home. Honorable mention goes to The Baby Bombers, Yoenis Cespedes, and Brock Lesnar not knowing the difference between UFC and WWE.


No comments: