Thursday, August 25, 2016

Operation 365 2... Blog 245

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay – Covers - 245 “Just Breathe” by Eddie Vedder


A few months ago, a dear friend of mine, Dick Van Ransom Magana passed away. Dick made the best ice cream in the world, most recently at his shop in Normal Heights, Mariposa Ice Cream. He and his wife, Anna were one of the most loving couples I’ve ever had the pleasure of knowing. I am very sorry for her loss.

At Dick’s memorial service, people from all walks of life flooded the old Catholic church to pay their respects, to their friend, family member, of friendly neighborhood “ice cream man.” At the end of the ceremony, “Just Breathe” was played. Apparently, Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam wrote it, but the version they played was performed by Willie Nelson and his son, Lukas. It was moving. Dick and Anna enjoyed live music every chance they got. I had the pleasure of taking in a couple of shows with them. And every moment of our friendship was full of fun. I miss him, but cherish our eternal bond. Few supported my music more than Dick and Anna. Thanks guys. Onward and upward, they say. It is a touching sentiment. I love you, Anna. Peace Dick.

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Originals – 245 “Good Dog Nigel” by Jefferson Jay with John Lennon

John Lennon was not a personal friend of mine, but Randy Robinson is. I am thankful for it.  Awhile back, about five-and-a-half years now, my future wife Leanne and I got a little pup named Nigel. It was during the first 365 and little puppy Nigel was featured as a blossomed into a lovely pooch. One day, Randy brought a poem to my Open Mic. He gave it to me to give to  Leanne. It was called “Good Dog Nigel” and it was by John Lennon. I was instantly inspired and I quickly wrote some music for this poem, making it a song. I honestly hope Yoko is OK with it. Better still, it would be, if she lijed it. But one step at a time. 

Interestingly, “Good Dog Nigel” is about putting “Nigel” to sleep at three in the morn. Awwww. Sad. Hopefully, I’ll never have to do that to that to our buy, Nigel. In the meantime, here’s the song I wrote with John Lennon.   

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Words - 245 “No Flies on Me”


"No Flies on Me" is one of those old expressions, I don't know what it means. Now would be one of those times I could look it up and learn. If not now, when? Right? I guess I just talked myself into it, but I'm not truly interested yet. Hopefully, this knowledge will make me glad I looked.Good luck finding someone more awake then me. You can't. I am 100% up. Ask that fly who thought mine was a face to land on. Call me, Froggy Miyagi. It's my new stage name.

Some commenter, mgarizona on WordReference.com said, 

"It means one is wide-awake and active, especially mentally alert. A sleepy animal will not swat away the flies that light on it, an alert animal will.

Good luck finding someone more awake then me. You can't. I am 100% up. Ask that fly who thought mine was a face to land on. Can't do that either, can you? Well, you'd have to go to El Cajon. Call me Froggy Miagi. It's my new stage name.

 

No comments: