Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Operation 365 2... Blog 243

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay – Covers - 243 “Green Fields” by Brothers Four


I had never heard of "Green Fields." It is old, like early Sixties, old, or older. I was writing one of the Christmas musicals I write for my work and I asked some of the Senior special needs folks, for song title suggestions. One friend offered “Green Field” and I said sure. My song was about a kid who was working hard to make money, so it seemed sensible. It was awhile later I discovered she loves this tune and “Green Fields” is already a song. I still need to change my song's name. One of these days, I will. 

Over some weeks, I would play this song for her. She likes to sing along and these old tunes bring back warm memories for these guys. I learn tons from the people I work with every day. Folks might think I'm being cute, but I'm serious. I learn about the old songs, the old ways of life. I learn about how to be polite, respectful, appreciative and in the moment. Over 95% of the people I work with bring that to the program each day. I am so fortunate and blessed to have these folks in my life. They're like a green field to me. Open, free and easy, comforting, supportive, loving and true. Thanks, my friends. 

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Originals – 243 “Bye Bye Games” by Jefferson Jay

I’m a big believer in maintaining a flexible context. It is the only way to find depth in being a sports fan. I feel that great artists and wordsmiths have been hiding alternative insight in the subtext and context of their commentaries for some time now. We need to be willing to read or hear ideas with and without the contexts they are offered in the elicit maximum wisdom. My point is, in this context, the Olympic games are gone, having vacated us right on schedule once again. No sporting event leaves us higher and dryer for years on end than the Olympics. I am nobody’s once-every-four-years TV booty call. At least visit me once a year please. Even the circus will do that.

So while” Bye Bye Games” was written as another adieu to the wrestling, table tennis, pole vault, fencing, triple jump and all these other cameo sports, please consider “games” to be any games you’ve finally tired of in your life. I have notice more than ever that people ware willing to endure some sensational nonsense. It seems folks will do almost anything to avoid saying “Bye Bye Games.” So here is yet another attempt on my behalf to encourage folks to choose what soothes their soul. Taking a chance on something new is OK. You will not drown, just because you don’t know exactly how to swim yet. Be a Phelps. Jah Rastafari. Not a Lochte. It is up to you. Swim how you choose. But even if you can’t float, sometimes the only safe choice is to try, or at least say “Bye Bye.” In other words, “Run.” “Bolt.” Find your gold.

Operation 365 2 - Jefferson Jay - Words - 243 “Is Phelps a Rasta?”

Jah Rastafari. Does 23-time Olympic gold medalist Michael Phelps say that and pray that 50 times before he goes to sleep every night? Probably, but do we really know for sure. What we do know is that our Olympic hero/Cheech and Chong of the medal stand has done more for marijuana than anyone since Bob Marley and The Beatles. Life is funny. Even brilliant athletes like Phelps-y don’t get to decide exactly what kind of hero they will be.  Do you think he smokes the Acapulco Gold? It’s hard to say, but most likely.

Here, we consider the possibility that it is a deep religious sentiment that leads Phelps to pull tubes. Is it? Isn’t it? Whoa. If his second career is as a reggae icon or if he grows out those Medusa gold medal dreads I was speculating about, that could be a sure fire sign that Michael Phelps is in deed a Rastafari. Stay tuned.


No comments: