Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Operation 365... Blog 11

So I've been hosting Open Mics for awhile. It's one of the things I do and I am comfortable saying it is one of the things in life I do well. Being a good Open Mic host is much easier that people think. One, you have to make it about the performers. Many hosts mistakenly believe that their open mic is all about them so they give themselves the biggest longest spots and that's backwards. People come out to have their moment to shine and have fun, not watch the host incessantly.

A good open mic hosts makes his performers, who are his guests, feeling comfortable and important and keeps the show moving. He or she is fair but shows appreciation to those who make the show fun each week.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 14 "Shinchitilatudatu" by Lou Evans Jr. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7LcjuwMEbs

So through Open Mics, I've met many if not most of my closest friends here in San Diego. Today's archive performance is from a man named Lou Evans Jr. This is one of his raddest tunes, called "Shinchitilatudatu" or something like that. Lou has a really interesting story. He was an aspiring pitcher with a fastball over 90 miles per hour in the minor leagues til he blew out his arm. Fortunately Lou has another superhuman talent to rely on. From the first time he came to my Open Mic, he made such an impression that I instantly gave him a nickname, "The Voice" Giving nicknames is another of my special talents. He earns that name every time he sings. Check him out!. Go Lou Evans Jr.!

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 14 "For My Lady" by The Moody Blues - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_FVsYY9cpU

This a tune my mom always loved and one I used to practice my singing and seduce teenage girls when I was a teenager myself. Justin Heyward of The Moody Blues has one of the underrated voices in rock history and this is a beautiful song. My mom broke her leg yesterday. Ouch! I hope maybe this can make her feel a little bit better. Love you Mom.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 14 "The Year of The Tiger" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCYjrXo03sg

Wasn't planning on playing this one. Second day in a row I just picked one once the tape was rolling. Second day in a row it was my second choice but I failed on the first few tries of the other tune so I moved on. I love this tune. It is one of my newer numbers. It was conceived at a Chinese restaurant appropriately. I was gaining knowledge about the world from the Chinese Astrology menu when I discovered I was born in the Year of The Tiger, my (future at the time but current now) girlfriend Leanne was also born in The Year of The Tiger and it is now The Year of The Tiger. In a world where there's no coincidences that's pretty heavy. What it means I have no idea. I don't really get Chinese astrology. How can every person for a year and then 12 years later and then 12 years later again be exactly the same? Who knows? What I knew was I needed to write a song about all this the next day and to my great happiness Leanne liked it. When we played it together live once or twice it got a great reaction with lots of tiger noises so I included a few of them here.

And finally, for you music theory heads, although I didn't really plan it this way, I just played it the way it was in my head, it is pretty crazy. It changes tempo and time signature ove and over again throughout. Fun! Hope you like it and if that's not good enough I am bottomless in the vid. Don't worry. You can't see anything but my knees. So I like to be naked in my house. Sue me.

In other unrelated Operation 365 news, youtube keeps suggesting I add "inspirational," "christianity" and "mix tape." I always comply but I'm figuring it won't be too long until some folks looking for christian mix tapes leave my page awfully disappointed.

P.S. Decided to add a bonus non-Operation 365 blog of the kind of stuff I think about.

EDIT: (Approximately 40 minutes later) Maybe I'm thickheaded, but I just noticed the romantic theme through all today's postings. Awwwwwwwwww....

No comments: